Food prices up, what have you bought that has increased in price?

Wrong on both counts actually.

There is a certain amount of stock they have available, bargaining power and profit margin they can sacrifice. Ofc the price in £land has stayed the same as that is the entire concept of the shop, but that doesnt mean inflation isnt having an effect.

Tobleorne has hot the news becayse its gone form 170g down to 150g

Maltesers from 150g to 120g

Ive just told you Sugar is slowly going back up. Hence its one from 45p to 49p in Aldi and is as high as 65p in Sainsburys.

Sainsbury have always sold sugar at a high cost because theirs is fair trade sugar from abroad.

Feel free to explain why the collapse in the value of the £ overnight from £1 to $1.50 down to $1.20/$1.25 wasnt down to the Brexit result

No as this thread is not about Brexit but food price rises.

Of course its not down to Brexit as it has been going on for years as you also have pointed out, and is commonly termed shrinkflation. But lets not bother about reality and blame Brexit anyway..

There have been recent examples that are attributed directly to the rise in cost of raw materials due to the collapse of the £ against the $, which was a direct effect of the referendum outcome.

The toblerone for example.

Sainsbury have always sold sugar at a high cost because theirs is fair trade sugar from abroad.
Some recent news you might be interested in, regarding fair trade. Given the currency context (and the below), the onset of many to follow, I'm sure.

In other news, the oil barrel is shooting up again (translation: everything is about to go up further still).

I did mention the 5% inflation estimate at end 2017 before, didn't I? No? Oh well :D

Some recent news you might be interested in, regarding fair trade. Given the currency context (and the below), the onset of many to follow, I'm sure.

Fairtrade has always been controversial and has been well documented that producer benefits little from it. Its more to do with that consumer "feel good factor."

In other news, the oil barrel is shooting up again (translation: everything is about to go up further still).

Wasn't it because OPEC have just announced that they will cut the production that has sent the cost of a barrel of oil up? Still lets not recap about how low it has been over the past few years and how that did not translate into lowering food costs.

Business live on the BBC states "Oil above $52 after OPEC action," not Brexit action or inaction.

I did mention the 5% inflation estimate at end 2017 before, didn't I? No? Oh well :D

Possibly but economists and the Government estimate around 2-3% and as the end of 2017 is a long way off yours is still a guess. Come back and smile at the end of 2017 if it is correct and I will give you 5 stars.

<...>

Business live on the BBC states "Oil above $52 after OPEC action," not Brexit action or inaction

<...>

Did I mention Brexit? Where? :confused:

I'm just in here to give the good news, they keep on coming lately :thumbsup:

You can keep the stars, I don't collect them :)

• 4 weeks later...