DIY loft bedroom

Anyone tried doing their own?

I am hoping to turn my loft into a bedroom next year. I access the loft via a cupboard. I was hoping that would be enough space for the stairs, but a relative has said cutting into the bedroom is a better option.

Anyone tried doing their own?

I am hoping to turn my loft into a bedroom next year. I access the loft via a cupboard. I was hoping that would be enough space for the stairs, but a relative has said cutting into the bedroom is a better option.

You'll need bigger joists too.

Depends how much you value the size of the room as it is now.

You can get a staircase that only takes up about a 1sm footprint. If your doing this to regs your going to need a safe exit rout to a downstairs door which means fire doors on your protected route, so either at the top or bottom of your new stairs as well and the room needed for that bit of landing.

Also depending what's above your proposed new stairs will make a difference, for example the one I'm doing now the natural place is from the landing but this would mean alterations to the purlins and other associated ball aches, so some of a bedroom is being sacrificed instead approx 2mx800cm..

---------- Post added 27-11-2016 at 22:37 ----------

Can you post some kind of diagram of layout?

Edited by syne

Be careful there is a host of Building Regulations, like....."Generallly the exising timbers in your roof will not be strong enough to support the new floor. New timberwork will need to be installed and most often steelwork will be required as the span is normally too great for timber beams. Calculating the size of timbers or steelwork is certainly a job best left for the professionals. Any changes to the roof such as the addition of a dormer or velux windows will need to built correctly so that they do affect the roof structure" .... http://www.aboutloftconversions.co.uk/building-regulations.html hope this helps