The micro brewery rip off.

I notice my championing of Stones Sheffield's famous brew has been removed ????? so to reiterate , Stones do a nice pint of real ale . It is brewed by Thwaites near Blackburn.

The water quality is on par with that used when it was brewed in Sheffield

It is available in bottles.

So there you have it .

I'm not even sure how you would go about comparing two beers that have so little in common. Certainly what they pass off as Stone's these days has very little in common with what was brewed in Sheffield. It was brewed for a time as a brown beer in Burton on Trent at around 3.9%

I can recall Sheffield Stones as a very pale pint at 4.1%ABV. The tripe that they bung in cans is a brown beer of 3.7% that tastes just like every other mass produced generic brew because very likely they are all pretty much the same. They are contract brewed by whoever gives the lowest quote with very little consideration for quality or authenticity. The same applies to Wards where ever that might be brewed these days. They are brewed for the non discerning drinker and to be honest you may as well drink the low priced supermarket "own brands" as they are very likely the same beer with a different name.

I've just checked and real ale Stones was discontinued in 2012. I hope they let it die rather than selling a beer that sullies the good name of Stones Sheffield.

Edited by aa2900

A couple of days ago we went to a Christmas Market (It's still November) and came across 3 of our local micro breweries selling bottled beers in packs of three. I checked these out and all the bottles were 330 ml rather than the 500 ml the packs were designed to hold. But the prices started at £3/bottle and went north from there.

£3 bottle is more than £4/pint. You can buy decent beers in the supermarkets for £1.25 for a proper 500ml bottle. Is someone taking the Mickey?

Just as an aside there was a stall in the market selling Prosecco at £5.95 for 750ml. So it seems that nowadays Prosecco is cheaper than a 4.0% ABV pale ale.

Don't buy them. Consumer power.

I notice my championing of Stones Sheffield's famous brew has been removed ????? so to reiterate , Stones do a nice pint of real ale . It is brewed by Thwaites near Blackburn..

I didn't know Thwaites brewed it. I thought it was made by Coors in Burton.

Does that mean Thwaites is another Coors brand?

Its hard to know what Thwaites are doing these days. Most of Thwaites beers are contract brewed by Marstons and Marstons are allowed to use the Thwaites name on several "brand name" beers that were bought from Thwaites.

Stones hand pulled ale is no longer made. The canned and keg beers have no resemblence to draught Stones anyhow. They are still sold but the only things for sure is they aren't brewed in Sheffield and aren't very nice.

Twaites was sold to Marstons last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-32136188

As far as I am aware, Marstons have so far managed to resist selling out to MolsonCoorsSabMiller, or any of the other 2 GlobalMegaHyperCorp brewery giants.

Twaites was sold to Marstons last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-32136188

As far as I am aware, Marstons have so far managed to resist selling out to MolsonCoorsSabMiller, or any of the other 2 GlobalMegaHyperCorp brewery giants.

Thwaites was not sold to Marstons. Thwaites still exists as an independent brewery and pub estate. They sold off the old brewery and several of their leading brand names and even get Marstons to brew some beers for the Thwaites pubs, but Thwaites still operate a much smaller brewery and produce a range of "craft beers". Unfortunately it isn't always possible to work out which is which.