Should I be allowed to burn the flag if I want to?

Should I be allowed the burn the Union Jack if I want to, or should, as Mr Trump tweeted the other day, flag burners face a year in jail or losing their citizenship?

Yes you should. You appreciate I assume the crucial difference between being allowed to do something and being immune from criticism for choosing to do it.

I suspect Trump means he'll imprison Muslims if they do it, but if Joe Redneck from the deep south pulps a few thousand flags after Independence Day, Trump won't care at all.

Muslims do love a bit of flag burning so I guess such a law may indirectly discriminate against them and make them a poor oppressed victim eh? Out of curiosity what do you think happens in most Muslim countries if someone burns their flag (which tend to have religious symbols or writing on)? Funny how the leftist defenders of liberal freedom are so selective when it comes to exposing intolerance.

Flag burning should be permitted under freedom of speech whether you are a white supremacist, member of a medieval religious cult or a self-flagellating leftist... it helps us to identify the nutters in society.

Should I be allowed the burn the Union Jack if I want to, or should, as Mr Trump tweeted the other day, flag burners face a year in jail or losing their citizenship?

Flag burning in the USA is a constitutionally protected right under the First Amendment. Trumps going to have to stuff SCOTUS first and get that overturned.

If you want to burn a bit of cloth that you own in the UK crack on. Just be careful of breach of the peace, that wonderful catch all clause.....

Muslims do love a bit of flag burning so I guess such a law may indirectly discriminate against them and make them a poor oppressed victim eh? Out of curiosity what do you think happens in most Muslim countries if someone burns their flag (which tend to have religious symbols or writing on)? Funny how the leftist defenders of liberal freedom are so selective when it comes to exposing intolerance.

Flag burning should be permitted under freedom of speech whether you are a white supremacist, member of a medieval religious cult or a self-flagellating leftist... it helps us to identify the nutters in society.

A couple of things.

I assume you're referring to me as a 'leftist'? Better than the usual 'leftard', but still, I vote Tory I'm afraid. Always have, always will.

If you burn a flag in a muslim country, you would probably be killed. You'd also have your hands cut off if you steal. And? If you eat beef in a Hindu country there would likely be a punishment. If you show the soles of your feet in Thailand you're punished (but you can shoot ping pong balls out of areas at various shows - random).

Just because someone else doesn't have any civil liberties, or has punishment for things that our society doesn't legislate against doesn't mean we should stoop to that level. It's not a race to the bottom. We have freedom in this country, so as far as I'm concerned, people can burn whatever flag they want, as long as they're not in a smokeless fuel only zone. Other than that, couldn't care less.

As a side note, aren't all religions medieval? They're all wrong in my view - there's no god as far as I'm concerned - but if that's what people want to believe then fair enough.

A couple of things.

I assume you're referring to me as a 'leftist'? Better than the usual 'leftard', but still, I vote Tory I'm afraid. Always have, always will.

If you burn a flag in a muslim country, you would probably be killed. You'd also have your hands cut off if you steal. And? If you eat beef in a Hindu country there would likely be a punishment. If you show the soles of your feet in Thailand you're punished (but you can shoot ping pong balls out of areas at various shows - random).

Just because someone else doesn't have any civil liberties, or has punishment for things that our society doesn't legislate against doesn't mean we should stoop to that level. It's not a race to the bottom. We have freedom in this country, so as far as I'm concerned, people can burn whatever flag they want, as long as they're not in a smokeless fuel only zone. Other than that, couldn't care less.

As a side note, aren't all religions medieval? They're all wrong in my view - there's no god as far as I'm concerned - but if that's what people want to believe then fair enough.

It is usually leftists that seek to find examples of Muslim oppression whilst ignoring that the biggest oppressor of Muslims is Islam... I duly note your Tory allegiance though. You will perhaps note in return that I did not advocate a race to the bottom and stated that burning the flag should be legal as part of free speech. :thumbsup: