Important - I need your views on Claywheels Lane/Beeley Wood Road Development plans

What would you prefer happen to the site?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer happen to the site?

• No change, leave it brownfield
    • I would be supportive of mixed usage with housing & light industry
    • I would be supportive of immediate use for just industry
    • I have no preference

If I've understood correctly (which I might not have done) then....if the bridge and road have already received planning permission, it's a question of whether or not to build houses nearby in the Claywheels Lane area?

In which case, yes, why not? Sure, it will bring some extra light traffic, but people need housing. It's the way of the world.

The bridge/road has been given planning. Irrespective of what will be built in my opinion there has been no interest in small business re-locating to this site for over 20 years.

Even with a bridge and infrastructure they still need the money to relocate, the councils alternative to housing is to reintroduce industry, if people with small enterprises/cottage industry cannot afford to do this, this leaves the gate open to huge corporate companies which possibly indicates heavy/large scale industry being the only option as they are the only ones with any money.

Relocation is not, "job creation" its just 'moving it around' a bit like the new ring road at shalesmoor/neepsend that won't alleviate traffic chaos just re-route it.

Surely creating quality affordable housing is a more realistic option bearing in mind that the dynamics of this side of the city have changed with the decline of sheffields manufacturing industry.

Hoping that we can turn back the clock is not feasible when we are competing in an open world economy that can produce goods at 30%-40% under UK margins. We are a city on the move, become a white collar technology based centre of business excellence and cannot hark back to our glory days as the manufacturing giant of the 1970's.

View the bigger picture!

Call me dumb but sheffield city council need a very good estate agent to flog barren wasteland that has been derelict for 20-30 yrs to up and coming new companies. The councils vision is that this will be possibly be achievable within 20-30 yrs if they get private investment. They have no money to commit to their idea.

WOULD YOU BUY INTO IT?

All the stuff about traffic being a problem is a bit strange, if they build factories and keep it for industrial use,the use of articulated/large lorries will increase traffic flow to a silly scale.

When Lafarge's recycling plant was there

a) Nobody was interested in helping local residents stop them causing noise/air/enviromental pollution or destroying ancient woodland for over a year.

b) Huge lorries travelled up and down Middlewood Road/Claywheels andLane dropping effluence/various waste sludges several times a day.

In their planning application to expand they anticipated traffic would increase by a further 60 - 80 lorries per day. This was ONE factory

Yes housing will increase traffic, Factories create a different type

It's not hard to work out which you'd like passing your front door.

While your on about traffic, I would like to point out that domestic traffic is intense for short periods of time usually first thing, school/work and tea time .

On the other hand having lived on the edge of a main road, my personal experience is that factories produce traffic that is constant.

As a keen horse woman and enviromentalist I am in support of having housing on this site.

I do not understand why anyone would want to put factories here.

I have taken my daughter and nephews on the Five weirs walk and always believed this was to be extended right out to Stocksbride at some time in the future, has there been aturn about on this that I don't know about ?

It would also seem appropriate to extend behind the current flats on the edge of Foxhill but although you only have to drive up Limestone Cottage Lane to be on Midhurst Road and Foxhill, they are two separate entities.

Having only just joined this debate, the above seemed apt in light of the fact of the council have plans in place to build housing of their own on the Back Edge an area just off Foxhill and slightly above the Ucar site, under another scheme, by about 2012, also to be done with private finance, if it can be found at the time.

This is a little strange as they only knocked the housing at Foxhill down a couple of years ago.

Stranger still that they want these houses to overlook factories,when they could overlook other houses, which is much nicer

Having seen the what the Council would like to happen in twenty years time , on the display outside Morrisons on Friday I am confused.

Why tout a plan that has no money, no private backers and won't happen for along time to the general public, I think they should have had something a little firmer to offer up, rather than just an idea, we can all have those.

Mine was to marry a millionaire and live happily ever after, didn't happen I'm happy but skint !!!!

This is a lovely bit of woodland and riverside, a real asset to any developer when planning good quality housing, it won't cost them money to keep it there, but will add real value for the future community.

Years of previous industry drove away wildlife, polluted the river killing fish and encouraged a legacy of fly tipping

Why go back to that just cos somebody at the council says thats the way its got to be

This is a lovely bit of woodland and riverside, a real asset to any developer when planning good quality housing, it won't cost them money to keep it there, but will add real value for the future community.

Years of previous industry drove away wildlife, polluted the river killing fish and encouraged a legacy of fly tipping

Why go back to that just cos somebody at the council says thats the way its got to be

I have spent many happy hours orienteering in Beeley Woods. I know Sheffield is well wooded but there are very few "woods" in Sheffield that come up to the standard of Beeley Wood.

Archived