Trees on Western Road are next

Are these trees being replaced with more suitable saplings?

If so, these could also be dedicated to the same memory, job done.

Somehow, I don't think the sociopathic jabberings of Julie Dore would share quite the same sentiment as which was originally intended. It would be an insult.

Do you have a link?

I have a copy of the survey from AMEY yes. They say that 20 of the trees they went to fell is due to damage to the pavement. They are perfectly healthy.

It says that two are dangerous.

It says that one is diseased.

Trees that AMEY have previously said are dangerous or diseased have been surveyed by independent arboriculturalists and have found to have no such issues.

I'm not saying that they are definitely wrong this time, I am not a qualified arboriculturalists and so cannot judge, but I would rather get the opinion of somebody who is not getting paid to cut them down.

I am not sure how I can share the survey on here, as it is a downloaded file and not somewhere accessible online.

Apparently the council are now planning to fell a healthy avenue of trees on Western Road at Crookes after covering themselves in glory at Rustlings.

These trees were planted after WW1 in memory of those former pupils of a nearby school who gave their lives in the conflict.

This isn’t just about trees anymore, it’s about the type of city we want to live in

Any links to info on this? Any idea of when the date of felling is?

If you wish to sign the petition to help save these healthy trees, it can be found here.

https://www.change.org/p/stag-sheffield-tree-action-groups-save-western-road-first-world-war-memorial-trees-from-destruction

Signed.

I have a copy of the survey from AMEY yes. They say that 20 of the trees they went to fell is due to damage to the pavement. They are perfectly healthy.

Trees that AMEY have previously said are dangerous or diseased have been surveyed by independent arboriculturalists and have found to have no such issues.

I'm not saying that they are definitely wrong this time, I am not a qualified arboriculturalists and so cannot judge, but I would rather get the opinion of somebody who is not getting paid to cut them down.

I am not sure how I can share the survey on here, as it is a downloaded file and not somewhere accessible online.

Ah I get you now, healthy but causing damage.

Can't say I'm familiar with these trees or the damage, so Duncan Banatyne style...........I'm out.

Whilst i'm not defending Amey's justifications for felling on this road in any way...

If there are now only around 60 trees of the 100 or so planted for each pupil that died, why is it suddenly a national scandal now?

Why has there been no uproar about the other 40 previously, or am I not up to date?

Whilst i'm not defending Amey's justifications for felling on this road in any way...

If there are now only around 60 trees of the 100 or so planted for each pupil that died, why is it suddenly a national scandal now?

Why has there been no uproar about the other 40 previously, or am I not up to date?

I believe the trees were not just on Western Road, but also on Gillott Street (which has now been renamed, not sure which street it is). I'm not sure how many trees each street got.

I also believe people are annoyed now because instead of some trees dying over the past 100 years, which would happen gradually and so less noticeable, this is the council removing perfectly healthy trees (all in one go).

I'm not even sure how many of the 97 saplings they planted in 1919 survived - saplings have a high failure rate and so it is entirely possible that nearly all of the trees that actually reached maturity are still there (at the moment).

Shame that seeds or cutting haven't been taken to replant from the original trees.

They generally plant different varieties from those originally planted.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 06:37 ----------

I believe the trees were not just on Western Road, but also on Gillott Street (which has now been renamed, not sure which street it is). I'm not sure how many trees each street got.

I also believe people are annoyed now because instead of some trees dying over the past 100 years, which would happen gradually and so less noticeable, this is the council removing perfectly healthy trees (all in one go).

I'm not even sure how many of the 97 saplings they planted in 1919 survived - saplings have a high failure rate and so it is entirely possible that nearly all of the trees that actually reached maturity are still there (at the moment).

There are a series of photographs on "Picture Sheffield" of Western Road, taken in 1966 and 1967, ie roughly 50 years ago and equally 50 years after the trees were planted. These and a quick "drive" down the road using the Google Street View appears to show few obvious gaps. Certainly the trees on Western Road have survived much better than those on Rustling Road (even before the recent cull). Rustling Road already had lots of gaps in comparison with old photographs.

It is interesting to compare the Western Road trees as they were 50 years ago with how they are now. Back in the 60s the girth of the trees was noticeably Iess than now and at that time they were still within the planting area and were not yet encroaching on the kerbstones. It would be interesting to know if there were planting standards at that time regarding how much space should be allowed for future growth, and how that compares with modern standards.

Say no more. They are not chopping them down for fun, the trees are causing damage to the road and pavement.