Trees on Western Road are next

I hear that trees on Rivelin Valley Road are also on the hit list now. Quite what justification they can find for felling this impressive avenue of trees I can't imagine, but it can't be the state of the pavements - there are scarcely any, apart from the section near the paddling pool.

Even if there were more, a pavement is a quick fix. Trees like this are 100 years in the making.

Say no more. They are not chopping them down for fun, the trees are causing damage to the road and pavement.

The contract in place provides multiple options as a remedy to pavement damage other than removal.

Removal only benefits the profits of Amey, not the people of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 13:24 ----------

At extra cost, and this is the problem. Many of us don't mind losing a tree ( that will be replaced anyway) to see nice uniform paths and roads all around Sheffield. We just don't see it as a big issue.

This is not (as far as we know) correct.

Although the secrecy of the contract makes it difficult to know for sure.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 13:25 ----------

It is written in the Streets Ahead 5 Year Tree Management Strategy.

It appears that we can be sure actually.

RF

The contract in place provides multiple options as a remedy to pavement damage other than removal.

Removal only benefits the profits of Amey, not the people of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 13:24 ----------

This is not (as far as we know) correct.

Although the secrecy of the contract makes it difficult to know for sure.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 13:25 ----------

It appears that we can be sure actually.

No we can't, actually. Options are included within the strategy, but there's nothing about how many trees it will apply to.

According to 1.3 of the strategy document, the expectation is to replace, on average, 200 to 400 trees per year over the 25 year, which corresponds to 5000 to 10000 trees. This is in order to initiate a sequence of long term replacement such that there is a progressive planting program and replacement of the tree stock.

In the absence of contract details, we could guess that Amey are expecting to be replacing this sort of quantity. It is also a stated aim of the tree strategy to reduce maintenance costs.

Amey are regularly portrayed on these threads as some sort of crafty machiavellian contractor, able to twist a contractually incompetent SCC round their little finger. Now I don't know the relevant contractual nous of either party, but I find it hard to believe that Amey would sign up to a contract with an open ended cost obligation. The contract must include some sort of scope of work regarding what is done to the trees, especially if the cost of implementing the different options varies by much. So any fixed price cost must be based on an expected split between replacement and retention. That doesn't mean that there will not be a change in contract value if the scope changes materially. The strategy document doesn't preclude this.

Edited by Eater Sundae
Added a clarification, near end.

I hear that trees on Rivelin Valley Road are also on the hit list now. Quite what justification they can find for felling this impressive avenue of trees I can't imagine, but it can't be the state of the pavements - there are scarcely any, apart from the section near the paddling pool.

Even if there were more, a pavement is a quick fix. Trees like this are 100 years in the making.

Where did you hear about the Rivelin trees Spider? I'd heard about the problems on Western Road, but not Rivelin Valley Road. :rolleyes:

Where did you hear about the Rivelin trees Spider? I'd heard about the problems on Western Road, but not Rivelin Valley Road. :rolleyes:

I expect that locals may have been contacted. If you drive along there you can see signs and ribbons etc on some of them, so I presume they have been identified

Edited by Eater Sundae
Typo

Although these trees are a memorial if they are damaging the pavement then remove and replace, the trees can still be a memorial.

As you go up the road it is Tarmac but further up there are flags which are more dangerous as I've had relatives who has fallen due to raised roots/Tarmac.