Trees on Western Road are next

In response to some of the earlier messages - it's not just a few trees here or a few trees there, it's 27,000 trees 26,000 of which are healthy. The vast majority of trees are being felled due to pavement damage. If you have street trees near your home that cause the pavement to undulate of knock the curb stones out of alignment then that tree will be felled when it makes it to the top of the list. So yes if you know a street with trees on it - it's that street, not just Rustlings Road, not just Western Road, not just Humphrey Road, but every tree lined road......

Section 1.7.4 Highway-Maintenance-PFI-Project-Outline-Business-Case

"a large proportion of the mature and over-mature trees (75% of the stock) are now ready for replacement with younger trees of a more appropriate species for use on the highway"

There were 36,000 street trees in Sheffield in 2012 somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 trees have been felled already, with another 22,000 to go. Amey are behind schedule due to the protestors and they have targets to meet (the fact there is a target per reporting period is in the unredacted contract, the actual number is redacted, but the total number is available in the document above).

Edited by admann

They want to remove mature trees which over the period of their contract will cost them lots of money.

They will replace these with small trees which will cost them a lot less to maintain.

By the time those small trees have become big trees, it will be someone elses problem.

Yup - we're dealing with the "heritage" the Victorians and Edwardians left us.

---------- Post added 02-12-2016 at 00:40 ----------

In response to some of the earlier messages - it's not just a few trees here or a few trees there, it's 27,000 trees 26,000 of which are healthy. The vast majority of trees are being felled due to pavement damage. If you have street trees near your home that cause the pavement to undulate of knock the curb stones out of alignment then that tree will be felled when it makes it to the top of the list. So yes if you know a street with trees on it - it's that street, not just Rustlings Road, not just Western Road, not just Humphrey Road, but every tree lined road......

What is a "tree lined road"?

Does that mean trees have to be growing in the pavement or roadside verges?

Aren't (just a few examples I use regularly) Brocco Bank, Upperthorpe, Crookes Valley, Hanover Way, Fulwood Road- "tree lined"?

Edited by Longcol

Do we still have any cobbled streets in Sheffield? If we do, how does Streets Ahead deal with them?

On Mary Street, the cobbles were in a right state before; see how it looked in 2008: https://goo.gl/maps/k7v1WdMkodm . Many of the cobbles had been removed in patches and replaced with tarmac, wherever utility works had needed to dig.

What Amey have done is to take up all the cobbles on the street, and use them to re-cobble most of it, and it looks pretty well done: https://goo.gl/maps/e7PaUN1TsVM2

But, they haven't brought in new cobbles to do the whole road, so part of it is now just plain tarmac where it had been cobbled before: https://goo.gl/maps/kyo1F7ifCeq

I work on this street, so I've been able to witness their progress, which was mostly pretty slow when they were doing it: it's a lot of hard graft with hand tools to sort out cobbles it seems, a lot slower than laying tarmac.

On Mary Street, the cobbles were in a right state before; see how it looked in 2008: https://goo.gl/maps/k7v1WdMkodm . Many of the cobbles had been removed in patches and replaced with tarmac, wherever utility works had needed to dig.

What Amey have done is to take up all the cobbles on the street, and use them to re-cobble most of it, and it looks pretty well done: https://goo.gl/maps/e7PaUN1TsVM2

But, they haven't brought in new cobbles to do the whole road, so part of it is now just plain tarmac where it had been cobbled before: https://goo.gl/maps/kyo1F7ifCeq

I work on this street, so I've been able to witness their progress, which was mostly pretty slow when they were doing it: it's a lot of hard graft with hand tools to sort out cobbles it seems, a lot slower than laying tarmac.

That's interesting. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the links.

I think a big problem with our roads is when utilities dig up and then reinstate roads. None more obvious than when the roads are cobbled. But even on "normal roads" the repairs are rarely as good as the original. I don't think enough is done to ensure that the joints are not the weak link. Soon after my road was resurfaced as part of street ahead, a section was dug up for work on a small water main. I intend to keep an eye on the repair, and will report it if it starts failing during the winter weather.

Edit. And Oops. I sometimes use that road, but totally forgot that it was cobbled.

It makes me wonder just what it will take for SCC to take a fresh and unbiased look at the whole tree issue.

They're receiving terrible press here and at a national level, and yet they blindly plough on as though they are deaf and blind. Unreal

for how long ?

the presence of mature trees near roads or paths means ocnstant and costly relaying of the surface

No it doesn't. How do you think other cities manage it? London has thousands of mature street trees (London Plane), as do other cities in the UK and abroad.

when most of the aforementioned trees were planted, how big were they...?.nothing like some of them are in Brincliffe Nether Edge today... if they are going to be replaced, and only a few are being felled, I don't see it as a problem.

one street where half of the trees should be felled is Sheldon rd ...

Edited by WestTinsley

when most of the aforementioned trees were planted, how big were they...?.nothing like some of them are in Brincliffe Nether Edge today... if they are going to be replaced, and only a few are being felled, I don't see it as a problem.

one street where half of the trees should be felled is Sheldon rd ...

75% are planned to be felled across Sheffield. 50% on Western Road - I wouldn't call that few.