Trees on Western Road are next

75% are planned to be felled across Sheffield. 50% on Western Road - I wouldn't call that few.

That's a travesty then 75pc is beyond ridiculous I didn't realise it was so many.. I thought it was something in the region of less than 5% ..

thanks for the info Robin hood

That's a travesty then 75pc is beyond ridiculous I didn't realise it was so many.. I thought it was something in the region of less than 5% ..

thanks for the info Robin hood

No worries. 5,000 have already been felled, so we've already lost 14%.

75% is their target to reach by the end of next year, which is why we are seeing felling ramping up.

The consultancy company who did the original survey of the street trees said that at most 1000 needed to be felled (so even less than 5%). They were not overly impressed when they heard how many trees the council then decided to fell..

“Did I tell them they needed to remove half of their tree stock? No. Did I tell them 70% of trees were nearing the end of their life? No […] Did I even suggest that the 10,000 bits of tree work were urgent? No - you have seen the power point and it was clearly explained that 25,000 trees needed no work and of that, 10,000 almost half, were routine crown-lifting operations, another quarter being dead wooding operations, and others including the whole gamut of routine works etc. (I did suggest to them that there were a couple of hundred trees that could be retained, but their condition was such that they may merit replacement – this was the only pre-emptive felling issue that I recall mentioning)”

~ Elliott, of Elliott Consultancy Ltd, 2016

75% is their target to reach by the end of next year, which is why we are seeing felling ramping up.

Where has that ever been published?

I've seen that quoted over the 25 years of the contract but never before in the first 5 years.

Edited by Longcol

Where has that ever been published?

I've seen that quoted over the 25 years of the contract but never before in the first 5 years.

Again, I will refer to the Street's Ahead 5 Year Tree Management Strategy.

It states..

From year six onwards, once the street tree stock has been brought up to an improved standard, the resurvey cycle will move to an annual 20% resurvey within a five year cycle.

This heavily implies that all trees that 'need' to be removed will be felled in the first five years of the contract (taking us to the end of 2017). The trees will then be resurveyed every 5 years for the remainder of the contract.

As I have already pointed out, the original survey said that at most 1000 trees needed to be removed - we have already lost 5,000.

No it doesn't. How do you think other cities manage it? London has thousands of mature street trees (London Plane), as do other cities in the UK and abroad.

constant and costly relaying of surfaces, although the type of tree does have an impact on this suwe to root formatios

constant and costly relaying of surfaces, although the type of tree does have an impact on this suwe to root formatios

Again that isn't quite correct. Other cities do not rely on constant and costly relaying of surfaces.

Flexi-pave isn't costly, and doesn't need to be constantly maintained. It doesn't crack as roots grow.

http://www.kbiuk.co.uk/products/pages/

Again that isn't quite correct. Other cities do not rely on constant and costly relaying of surfaces.

Flexi-pave isn't costly, and doesn't need to be constantly maintained. It doesn't crack as roots grow.

http://www.kbiuk.co.uk/products/pages/

a product unsuitable for use a road surface and does not take account of damage to services or structures ...

a product unsuitable for use a road surface and does not take account of damage to services or structures ...

You should read why the majority of trees are being felled.

It is because of damage to the pavement, which is precisely what this product is used for. There are only a few trees that are being felled because of damage to the road, or damage to structures.

Why should this not be used where it can be?