Should our unemployed be forced to pick fruit?

Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?

• Yes
    • No

Just been watching Countryfile and it seems we have nothing to worry about a future shortage of labour to pick fruit, as a consequence of BREXIT, because robots are going to be used to pick fruit. Problem sorted.

And so have I, so yes you are right we do not have to worry about fruit pickers. I think they said in 2 years time they hope to have the robots up and running. I don't think they can use robots to pick cauliflowers but I am sure they will be working on some device to do the job in the future.

I don't think they can use robots to pick cauliflowers but I am sure they will be working on some device to do the job in the future.

How much do these robot picking machines cost? If it's more than it costs to employ an Eastern European at minimum wage, then no farmer will buy them.

Besides, won't all the farmers be bankrupt, 'cos they all voted to leave the very same EU that gives them £millions a year in handouts?

How much do these robot picking machines cost? If it's more than it costs to employ an Eastern European at minimum wage, then no farmer will buy them.

Besides, won't all the farmers be bankrupt, 'cos they all voted to leave the very same EU that gives them £millions a year in handouts?

Are you sure all the farmers will be bankrupt because they voted to leave the EU, I wonder why all the farmers voted for Brexit as you say?

I suspect it could be something to do with bureaucracy. As one farmer told me who voted to leave for every pound that is paid in they get thirty pence back and they are told by the EU how to spend it.

Look at the waste on food because of EU rules, fish being thrown back in the sea because fishermen have gone over the quotas. Vegetables have got to be grown a certain way, no wonky carrots, cucubers can't curl. No wonder the farmers voted to leave. Let's hope government will give the farmers'grants with some of the money they paid into the EU, with less restrictions on how to use it.

You could be right about the robots they could be costly, they could rent one as some farmers do with combinharvesters.

How pleased would you be to have paid tax and NI for decades, only to be labelled a scrounger the minute you get made redundant or become ill? Most people work bloody long and hard for the pittance of a benefit they may be unfortunate to need. It's unfortunate that a few long term system-players turn popular opinion against people who fall back on social security in times of need. It can happen to anybody.

Some of us would get absolutely nothing as our spouse would still be working.

I've adjusted post #64 to as I should have written it in the first place. Have a re-read and see if it changes how I wrote it.

-

My later post about my thoughts on the economics (on post #71) you've linked together with the first one.

-

Income support is just a modern way of saying UB, you're just being pedantic. And working tax-credit type things is just another way of skewing the figures, because technically it isn't someone who is 'UNEMPLOYED'. If someone's doing 4 hours a week at min wage, and claiming a weeks wage called 'working/child credits' or whatever, it's just a cover to make figures look good and win votes.

I'm surprised you of all people fall for this easy manipulation of statistics.

In work benefits are paid to people and families who work full time.

You've swallowed the propaganda about benefits claimants so much that even the figures produced by a government trying to vilify the claimants is further twisted in your head to mean something that it doesn't.

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 07:33 ----------

And what about all the migrants claiming benefits ?

Would they be included in this....or would that be racist :hihi:

We'd first have to examine your thoughts and why you think immigrants are a 'race'...

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 07:34 ----------

Are you sure all the farmers will be bankrupt because they voted to leave the EU, I wonder why all the farmers voted for Brexit as you say?

I suspect it could be something to do with bureaucracy. As one farmer told me who voted to leave for every pound that is paid in they get thirty pence back and they are told by the EU how to spend it.

Look at the waste on food because of EU rules, fish being thrown back in the sea because fishermen have gone over the quotas. Vegetables have got to be grown a certain way, no wonky carrots, cucubers can't curl. No wonder the farmers voted to leave. Let's hope government will give the farmers'grants with some of the money they paid into the EU, with less restrictions on how to use it.

You could be right about the robots they could be costly, they could rent one as some farmers do with combinharvesters.

You realise that most of those "rules" are nothing to do with the EU, and that fishing quotas only just saved most of our fish stocks from extinction due to over fishing?

In work benefits are paid to people and families who work full time.

You've swallowed the propaganda about benefits claimants so much that even the figures produced by a government trying to vilify the claimants is further twisted in your head to mean something that it doesn't.

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 07:33 ----------

We'd first have to examine your thoughts and why you think immigrants are a 'race'...

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 07:34 ----------

You realise that most of those "rules" are nothing to do with the EU, and that fishing quotas only just saved most of our fish stocks from extinction due to over fishing?

I think the EU did did play their part with how veg should be grown at one stage, also the supermarkets share some blame. However you can see some wonky veg in supermarkets. I don't agree with dead fish being thrown back into the sea, yes we need fish quotas to save the industry, but confiscate the fish so the fisherman do not make a profit once they are back on land and put it to good use. A fishermans' job is difficult enough without having to be spot on with quotas.

And so have I, so yes you are right we do not have to worry about fruit pickers. I think they said in 2 years time they hope to have the robots up and running. I don't think they can use robots to pick cauliflowers but I am sure they will be working on some device to do the job in the future.

The cauliflower picking looked a bit dangerous with those big sharp knives. They managed to pick brocolli ok with the robots. It is reassuring to know the farmers have a BREXIT plan.

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 09:28 ----------

The robots will do the work of up to 20 migrants, so they will soon pay for themselves and they won't have to buy caravans for them to sleep in. Farmers have a reputation for making out they are near bankruptcy and probably have more than enough money saved, as a consequence of the years of cheap migrant labour they have benefited from.

There's definitely a middle ground of compromise.

The unemployed are potentially a massive labour force that could be used for some good, round my way for example they could do a beach litter pick, as there are no paid people doing that.

When I was briefly unemployed I could only attend the Jobclub 2 or 3 times a week. When I asked if I could spend some daylight hours volunteering, I was firmly told that if I did I would be "unavailable for work" and get my benefits stopped.

Instead I guess I was supposed to scour the newspapers and knock on businesses doors looking for work.

There's definitely a middle ground of compromise.

The unemployed are potentially a massive labour force that could be used for some good, round my way for example they could do a beach litter pick, as there are no paid people doing that.

When I was briefly unemployed I could only attend the Jobclub 2 or 3 times a week. When I asked if I could spend some daylight hours volunteering, I was firmly told that if I did I would be "unavailable for work" and get my benefits stopped.

Instead I guess I was supposed to scour the newspapers and knock on businesses doors looking for work.

Compromise is the correct term. In these days of modern communications someone could easily do a few hours a week voluntary work and easily be contacted via a text message or voicemail should a job interview or relevant employment issues crop up.