Should our unemployed be forced to pick fruit?

Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?

• Yes
    • No

In the 60s and 70s potatoe picking use to be a seasonal thing. I remember my family and friends and their children going to farms for potato picking. I suspect modern day machinery is used for that job now.

Why not allow farmers to go to job centres with transport to take people to the farm to pick fruit and give the unemployed people the choice to go with the farmer. I bet quite a few people would volunteer to go fruit picking.

The job centre could have a notice board to let people known what days the farmers would be there and they could put their name on a list if they were interested in the job centre. Also make sure the farmer provides food for their lunch as well as payment. I bet quite a few people would volunteer without having to force people.

In the 60s and 70s potatoe picking use to be a seasonal thing. I remember my family and friends and their children going to farms for potato picking. I suspect modern day machinery is used for that job now.

Why not allow farmers to go to job centres with transport to take people to the farm to pick fruit and give the unemployed people the choice to go with the farmer. I bet quite a few people would volunteer to go fruit picking.

The job centre could have a notice board to let people known what days the farmers would be there and they could put their name on a list if they were interested in the job centre. Also make sure the farmer provides food for their lunch as well as payment. I bet quite a few people would volunteer without having to force people.

Very sensible suggestion and I think they would get a lot of takers. One of the difficulties is that the benefits system is very bureaucratic, so it would cause large delays as benefits are recalculated, which can leave people without money. If they are renting privately then they caant afford such delays.

Very sensible suggestion and I think they would get a lot of takers. One of the difficulties is that the benefits system is very bureaucratic, so it would cause large delays as benefits are recalculated, which can leave people without money. If they are renting privately then they caant afford such delays.

except you can't run a business on volunteers

you need to be confident that your workers will turn up day in day out and more importantly rain or shine.

commercial fruit and vegetable picking does require a bit of skill and dedication, to make sure you get sufficient picked to satisfy your orders at a rate, for them to be delivered/collected at a sensible time and, particularly for delicate produce, are of the right quality not bruised etc...

except you can't run a business on volunteers

you need to be confident that your workers will turn up day in day out and more importantly rain or shine.

commercial fruit and vegetable picking does require a bit of skill and dedication, to make sure you get sufficient picked to satisfy your orders at a rate, for them to be delivered/collected at a sensible time and, particularly for delicate produce, are of the right quality not bruised etc...

Which is fair enough, but am sure poppet has answers into how she would like to penalise people who volunteered. People can be taught. They could even be interviewed by poppet, so only deducated eliable people were chose, bit like giving them a job really with a bit of extra punishment and intimidation thrown in.

If i was young and single i would rather pick fruit than claim benefits. Forcing people to pick fruit for benefits is wrong.

Perhaps, the Government should bring back National Service and make youngsters work 6 months on a fruit farm, before they reach the age of 21. It wouldn't do them any harm.

I've picked berries as a kid, and potatoes for pocket money. Lots of families went berry picking then, 50s/60s, mainly mums and children while dad was at work, it all added to the family coffers for the low paid.

Most families were traditional in set up, two parents, usually one in work and youngsters didn't generally leave the family home to live independently until they could afford to set up home. Benefits were very different, so earning a bit extra was a great incentive.

Perhaps, the Government should bring back National Service and make youngsters work 6 months on a fruit farm, before they reach the age of 21. It wouldn't do them any harm.

Because picking fruit trains soldiers to be battle-ready. I think we should plant loads of fruit trees in the Middle East just in case we need an excuse to invade. Bugger oil. The world needs a raspberry war.

Because picking fruit trains soldiers to be battle-ready. I think we should plant loads of fruit trees in the Middle East just in case we need an excuse to invade. Bugger oil. The world needs a raspberry war.

we could outpick them with our beryypicking stormtroopers. yes national service is what everyone wnats, never mind not having anything to do wth such people and it keeps them out of the education system.

National Service also taught young men discipline and useful skills. A modern National service wouldn't have to involve the military.