The great Sheffield down Town pub run 1960-80ish

samssong

yasser arafat, adolph hitler. gaddafi, saddam hussein, mussolini, tony blair. and wait for it.......THE COMMITTEE MAN........

every members dream and ambition was to get elected on to the committee, this gave you untold power and privilege, you wore a little badge on your lapel, this informed any stranger visiting the club that you were a committee man, and not to be messed with.

should you have a confrontation with a committee man, you did so at your peril, if you consumed a bit to much firewater, and told a committee man to bugger of, you were immediately put on a charge and summoned to the next committee meeting..

when you attended the meeting you were ordered to explain your actions.. you would then be interrogated by different committee men. bit like the spanish inquisition...

you then had to do the customary grovelling and apologising, you were then dismissed to await your fate, which usually meant you being barred for 1 2 3 or 6 months, depending on how good your grovelling was.[/b] if the crime was serious like talking during the tombola,

Lol at the tombola line:D

Yes Mr. T. I recall in the '60s that a lot of WMC's retitled that game of chance to 'Tombola', leaving the term 'Bingo' to places like converted picture houses. What was your local WMC (or,if any favourite club ?).

Yes most of clubs concert secretaries were hard working and honest but you got the odd scammer who disgraced the title.The scam goes like this:- The artistes are on a fee of £28 the concert secretary comes in the dressing room at the end of the night to pay the act he presents a receipt book to sign for a fee of £45 saying if we sign there's an extra £5 for us so we are presented with £33.That means the secretary can pocket £12 for himself.This happened to us more than once

Working Mens Clubs. Not street cred for teenagers in the sixties, any rooad might have bumpt into our old fella.

Though i did go to the next best thing with my Farther in Law. His favourite pub was The Earl Of Arundel on Queens Road.

We`d go down on a Saturday Night for a sing along, the entertainment provided by an organist and drummer and any one who wanted to sing.

Some folk took it very serious, one old chap would turn up dressed in Al Jolson gear, two women did Andrew Sisters songs, The organist would give them the big build up. "For your entertainment tonight" by bus direct from the Woodseats Palace, we have the "Arston Sisters" the fat Arston and the thin Arston.(don`t think they`d get away with that today) a towd lad in a stetson did High Noon!

Singers who didn`t come up to scratch "would be played out" the organist would speed up the music.

Oh well back to the future with a can of Stones and feet up in front of the telly.

Yes Mr. T. I recall in the '60s that a lot of WMC's retitled that game of chance to 'Tombola', leaving the term 'Bingo' to places like converted picture houses. What was your local WMC (or,if any favourite club ?).

I wasn't laughing at the term tombola but at the fact of how Padders described the seriousness of talking during a game. It was close to home as I got tossed out of Brinsworth WMC for persistently making fun of the numbers caller and giggling, of course I was blotto at the time and just moved on to my local pub. I was never a member of a club, but occasionally got signed in by a member.

My in laws used Woodseats and Smithywood and we would occasionally go out with them. I was never a fan anyway, preferred pubs.

Anybody remember when they saw their first pop video in a pub? I reckon mine was in the claymoore on the juke box. Must have been some time in the 80's and if I remember right it cost a quid a go which was a lot of money in those days