RIP Andrew Sachs

Longy67

After playing the King in A Scandal in Bohemia for Radio 4's Sherlock Holmes adaptations, he returned to the series several years later to play a very fine Watson to Clive Merrison's Holmes in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

A kind, gentle and much loved and respected man, by all accounts. Sad news, especially to learn that he suffered from dementia during his final years.

After playing the King in A Scandal in Bohemia for Radio 4's Sherlock Holmes adaptations, he returned to the series several years later to play a very fine Watson to Clive Merrison's Holmes in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

A kind, gentle and much loved and respected man, by all accounts. Sad news, especially to learn that he suffered from dementia during his final years.

When I worked in a factory, I listened to all the Clive Merrison version of Holmes on R4 through earphones.

Sachs, like you say, was very good in it.

Thinking about it, I'll try and find these series online for another listen.

RIP Andy Sachs.

He also wrote a very entertaining radio play "The Revenge" which lasted 15 minutes or so and had no dialogue. It was all sounds recorded binaurally.

He was originally from Berlin and came as a refugee to escape the Nazis.