RIP Andrew Sachs

Longy67

When I worked in a factory, I listened to all the Clive Merrison version of Holmes on R4 through earphones.

Sachs, like you say, was very good in it.

Thinking about it, I'll try and find these series online for another listen.

RIP Andy Sachs.

Clive Merrison is my favourite Holmes, and the entire Radio 4 series is superb. The episodes are repeated semi-regularly on Radio 4 Extra, though I think the Further Adventures episodes pop up less frequently.

In case you didn't know, the Further Adventures episodes are written by Bert Coules, who initiated the Radio 4 Holmes project in the 80s and who adapted many of the original stories. Each episode is based on a reference to a Holmes case made in an original story, but never elaborated on by Conan Doyle. You can see all the references here.

As I recall, the original Watson, Michael Williams, was due to continue in the role for the Further Adventures, but sadly fell ill during preparations for the first series. Andrew Sachs did an excellent job, and really made Watson his own.

Netflix has uploaded Fawlty Towers and I watched a couple of series on Saturday evening. Got to say that Sachs' acting was nothing short of astonishing. (Indeed, practically the way Cleese, Booth, Sachs and Scales 'bounced off' each other shows what a class act they were together.)