Is what I'm seeing actually there..Or 'there'?

Guest makapaka
The best way to correct this phenomena is to employ the services of a maxillofacial surgeon and get him to move your eye sockets (including eyes) two inches to the left. Not only will this correct your vision, it comes in pretty handy for seeing what's happening round corners! :thumbsup:

Ha ha ha!!!

I've got a new pair of glasses, which I now use for driving...They're great, and make things a lot clearer. I don't think I've got 'bad' eyes, they just help a bit.

Anyway, I was idly sitting in my car waiting to pick up the OH and happened to peer over the top of my glasses at a nearby building, and the image seemed to 'shift' by several feet (CM for those who don't know old money). Then I lifted my head (and looked through the lenses again) and the image shifted back.

So what's the true position of the building?...Or anything else for that matter.

I'm slightly confused :confused:

(And before anyone says, yes I know I'm easily confused)

You don't need glasses to get this "effect" : stare at any fixed point and, without moving your head, close one eye after another as quickly as you can. The "fixed point" will seem to move position slightly....

I've got a new pair of glasses, which I now use for driving...They're great, and make things a lot clearer. I don't think I've got 'bad' eyes, they just help a bit.

Anyway, I was idly sitting in my car waiting to pick up the OH and happened to peer over the top of my glasses at a nearby building, and the image seemed to 'shift' by several feet (CM for those who don't know old money). Then I lifted my head (and looked through the lenses again) and the image shifted back.

So what's the true position of the building?...Or anything else for that matter.

I'm slightly confused :confused:

(And before anyone says, yes I know I'm easily confused)

The building, or anything else that you look at, is where it is. Your eyes and their efficiency at judging distance is why you have the new prescription. Without the new prescription you would think that you had more stopping distance than you actually do. Had you noticed that before the new prescription things seemed to suddenly creep up on youThe kerb in the car park, having to break harder at the lights etc. Bet you find your driving improves.

th

Bertrand Russell had a lot to say about this. He was interested in the idea that no two people see exactly the same thing; they are either seeing it from slightly different angles or have slightly different visual perception. This prompted him to wonder whether there is in fact an objectively "real" object or just an array of slightly different subjective perceptions of a theoretically objective reality.

I think this is related to rainbows. I recently googled "How big is a rainbow" and the answers were generally that a rainbow doesn't really exist, it's just a way that we see light differently, therefore it has no size.

Bertrand Russell had a lot to say about this. He was interested in the idea that no two people see exactly the same thing; they are either seeing it from slightly different angles or have slightly different visual perception. This prompted him to wonder whether there is in fact an objectively "real" object or just an array of slightly different subjective perceptions of a theoretically objective reality.

I think this is related to rainbows. I recently googled "How big is a rainbow" and the answers were generally that a rainbow doesn't really exist, it's just a way that we see light differently, therefore it has no size.

The kitchen table theory does it really exist, if I saw of the leg what will happen does it fall over because I expect it to fall over or because it becomes unbalanced.

and from the perspective of nuclear science there is no such thing as a solid object just collections of molecules made up of smaller atoms, neutrons, etc which are constantly moving. Its just that we humans move a lot more slowly so percieve things as being static and solid.