Car towed away whilst on holiday

Important to note that it is not SCC changing the dates on the notices, it's Amey, who are the contractors carrying out the work.

Parking services would not normally tow vehicles away unless the required period of notice had been given.

If your car was towed and you could prove that Amey had not given the required notice, you'd be refunded.

It may well be Amey changing things at short notice. But .....who's responsible for keeping Amey in check? And are they doing it properly????

Important to note that it is not SCC changing the dates on the notices, it's Amey, who are the contractors carrying out the work.

Parking services would not normally tow vehicles away unless the required period of notice had been given.

If your car was towed and you could prove that Amey had not given the required notice, you'd be refunded.

Didn't SCC give Amey the contract? SCC should take some responsibility for their behaviour, not just give them the contract and then say its nothing to do with them anymore.

From a legal point of view Parking Services should be required to prove that they HAD given sufficient notice, not the reverse. Proving a negative is of course rather difficult, especially after the fact.

Parking Services only tow when they believe that the correct notice has been given. There have been occasions when they have refused to tow when requested by Amey, as they weren't convinced that was the case.

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 22:57 ----------

Didn't SCC give Amey the contract? SCC should take some responsibility for their behaviour, not just give them the contract and then say its nothing to do with them anymore.

SCC do hold Amey to account for any breaches of the contract. They have a team who monitor it.

Severe penalties can be and are levied for non compliance.

Did someone forget to specify more than 3 days notice before starting work on a street then in the contract?

I have no idea what, if anything is specified in the contract.

The period of notice being used has been agreed by the contractor and the client.

Parking Services only tow when they believe that the correct notice has been given. There have been occasions when they have refused to tow when requested by Amey, as they weren't convinced that was the case.

hmm, well in my case my neighbour specifically told the workers outside I was on holiday and therefore could not have seen the notices they put up (the leaflets we were sent specifically say "about 2 weeks" notice would be given in writing - no letter was sent, and the signs went up less than 1 week before the work started). They still towed my car.

hmm, well in my case my neighbour specifically told the workers outside I was on holiday and therefore could not have seen the notices they put up (the leaflets we were sent specifically say "about 2 weeks" notice would be given in writing - no letter was sent, and the signs went up less than 1 week before the work started). They still towed my car.

What would you liked them to have done? Left your car in situ and Tarmac-ed around it?

What would you liked them to have done? Left your car in situ and Tarmac-ed around it?

I would like them to have given the two weeks notice they said they would, and given they failed to do so then yes I would have liked them to delay the work. Its their own fault for failing to give the notice they said they would.

Edited by nightrider