Car towed away whilst on holiday

In my case I would not say less than 1 week is "plenty" of notice. There is a new sign now that only gave 3 days notice of further work this week.

That's not acceptable, as it doesn't take into account people being on holiday for a week or two.

There's resurfacing round my way and the warning signs have been up a month prior to the work commencing.

But the more I read this forum, the more I believe the Council and their contractors don't play by the same rules as the rest of the real world. I honestly don't know how you all put up with it.

Well, they've been doing the work for the past four years, so if they were going to be sued, I'd have thought it would have happened by now.

I can't see how you can argue that three days notice is ridiculously short. How much time does anyone need to decide where else to park?

Because lots of people are frequently away from home for more than 3 days. Thats why its unreasonable. I expect most people take a 1 week holiday at least once a year.

Well, they've been doing the work for the past four years, so if they were going to be sued, I'd have thought it would have happened by now.

I can't see how you can argue that three days notice is ridiculously short. How much time does anyone need to decide where else to park?

The notice period Amey use has been discussed and agreed with the council.

And you wonder why SCC gets a bad press with attitude like that?

Holidays. Most last at least a week.

Working away. Some people commute to say London during the week and are only in at weekends. At one point I was commuting to Berlin weekly! Good luck getting back from that to shift a car.

Repairs. Might be a week or more waiting for parts for a car to be even moveable if somethings gone wrong.

Three days enough time? You really don't believe that seriously?

That's not acceptable, as it doesn't take into account people being on holiday for a week or two.

There's resurfacing round my way and the warning signs have been up a month prior to the work commencing.

But the more I read this forum, the more I believe the Council and their contractors don't play by the same rules as the rest of the real world. I honestly don't know how you all put up with it.

LCC put signs up for a road resurfaceing recently and gave four days notice.

A fair number of cars were towed. Two of them very foolishly from a private road, and about a half dozen from the main road.

They got sued successfully for quite a large sum by two people who ended up having to hire cars because the council couldn't get their backsides in gear to return the cars that were taken. The ones that were taken from a private road had the owners insisting on theft charges which is still rumbling on, and the council ended up paying to have the original road surface replaced after they scraped and covered it.

I refuse to believe that SCC haven't been slapped with similar if they are really going round issuing a large number of three day removal notices.

And you wonder why SCC gets a bad press with attitude like that?

Holidays. Most last at least a week.

Working away. Some people commute to say London during the week and are only in at weekends. At one point I was commuting to Berlin weekly! Good luck getting back from that to shift a car.

Repairs. Might be a week or more waiting for parts for a car to be even moveable if somethings gone wrong.

Three days enough time? You really don't believe that seriously?

But in any of these situations the car would already have been there when the sign went up, so the owner would not have to pay the release fee.

But in any of these situations the car would already have been there when the sign went up, so the owner would not have to pay the release fee.

I have had to pay a release fee. It remains to be seen whether I am able to get it reimbursed (I will be asking for costs too that were incurred directly as a result of this action).