SORN or not to SORN?

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but do make sure you SORN it, on-line if you prefer, or you will also fall foul of the continuous insurance rules.

The last bike I bought I tried to SORN before I'd received the logbook back. Consequently it was rejected by post, the rejection being delivered in a different envelope, but at the same time as the V5, so I immediately did it online.

However, you can now change ownership online, during office hours, so you should be able to cover yourself on all counts quite easily.

Thanks Peak4, I knew you could do SORN online, just trying to clear up a few things. I've not heard of continuous insurance rules, but as a new owner, I won't be insuring it until it's rebuilt and on the road (so to speak) I don't see how that rule can apply presuming there's no law that says a vehicle has to be insured even though it's in bits inside a garage and other locations.

To sum up:

I've bought a thirty one year old car which has been in storage for the past ten years (two of them outdoors in a hedge). It's undriveable, requiring major bodywork and will be in very many pieces for several months … this is what I'll (truthfully) tell DVLA boyos tomorrow when I give them a call. I think speaking to them is my best option as there seems to be conflicting advice on this matter. My intention is to SORN it as soon as possible (free and easy), with or without vehicle registration document. Just want to make sure I do things correctly as it's a first for me. :)

Pleased to assist Alco, but these days a vehicle must be either insured or SORNed at all times.

I think the only exception is, if you have owned it since before SORN came into being, and it's never been on the road/taxed since, or had any details changed on the V5c, then effectively the DVLA don't really know it exists, so you're clear on the continuous insurance as well.

There was talk a few years ago about a £5 admin charge for SORN, and a more concerning one about losing the reg. number for anything pre-SORN, but I don't think anything's currently in the offing.

p.s. I've found the DVLA most helpful on the phone and by email, but diabolical by snail mail. If you have need to post anything, make sure you get a certificate of posting from the Post Office, which is free, and allows presumption of delivery, if first class, under the interpretations act.

N.B. if it's important, make sure you get a witness at to what you include in the envelope before posting it. It wouldn't be the first time someone's tried to use the act on an empty envelope. ;-)

Edited by peak4

Pleased to assist Alco, but these days a vehicle must be either insured or SORNed at all times.

I think the only exception is, if you have owned it since before SORN came into being, and it's never been on the road/taxed since, or had any details changed on the V5c, then effectively the DVLA don't really know it exists, so you're clear on the continuous insurance as well.

There was talk a few years ago about a £5 admin charge for SORN, and a more concerning one about losing the reg. number for anything pre-SORN, but I don't think anything's currently in the offing.

p.s. I've found the DVLA most helpful on the phone and by email, but diabolical by snail mail. If you have need to post anything, make sure you get a certificate of posting from the Post Office, which is free, and allows presumption of delivery, if first class, under the interpretations act.

N.B. if it's important, make sure you get a witness at to what you include in the envelope before posting it. It wouldn't be the first time someone's tried to use the act on an empty envelope. ;-)

Thanks for your advice. I'll ring DVLA later today and see what they say ... I'm sure the circumstances aren't unique to just me. I'll post later with the outcome. :)

It's free to SORN and you don't have to re-SORN every year like you used to.

When the car changes owner the new owner becomes responsible for it's tax status, it must be either taxed or SORN.

If it's neither they assume it's being kept on the road and put a fine in the post to you.

Since it's free to SORN it's not really something you can challenge easily.

As long as it has a V5 attached to the VIN and engine numbers it exists as a car as far as DVLA is concerned. If you dismantle it then you can put it back on the road, but the paperwork is onerouos, there is a VIC I expect and youd probably end up on a Q plate.

Far easier to fill out the SORN and have done. And you only have to do it once now not every year.

Yep, what he said.

That is the risk you face.

Ok, so here's the result …

I've just managed to get through to Swansea where, having explained the situation, the nice lady told me to print out a V890 form, fill it in, and send it to them.

I asked (out of curiosity) if I could maybe wait until they'd sent me the new registration certificate (in my name) and SORN online. Apparently I could, but would be liable to road tax between taking ownership of the car up to the SORN declaration.

This may be helpful to anyone else wishing to do the same as I.

Form now filled in and off to the post box. :)

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 11:35 ----------

You can't sorn on line if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.You have to use form V890 and send it in the post.

Correct. The lady from Swansea has just told me exactly the same thing. :)

Ok, so here's the result …

I've just managed to get through to Swansea where, having explained the situation, the nice lady told me to print out a V890 form, fill it in, and send it to them.

I asked (out of curiosity) if I could maybe wait until they'd sent me the new registration certificate (in my name) and SORN online. Apparently I could, but would be liable to road tax between taking ownership of the car up to the SORN declaration.

This may be helpful to anyone else wishing to do the same as I.

Form now filled in and off to the post box. :)

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 11:35 ----------

Correct. The lady from Swansea has just told me exactly the same thing. :)

I think the trick may be to change ownership on-line, at the time of purchase, rather than the vendor posting off the new keeper's details.

I believe you can then SORN on-line as soon as it's been processed.

In my case, when I bought the van, the V5c arrived about 4 days later, rather than the normal 3 or 4 weeks wait.

I think the trick may be to change ownership on-line, at the time of purchase, rather than the vendor posting off the new keeper's details.

I believe you can then SORN on-line as soon as it's been processed.

In my case, when I bought the van, the V5c arrived about 4 days later, rather than the normal 3 or 4 weeks wait.

I didn't realise you could do that either. Too late now as everything's been done snail-mail, but useful information for the future. :thumbsup: