The future of supermarket - Amazon go

but but but . . . think of the social alienation this will cause, when Ethel and Doris the pensioners can't hold up the queue and chat to the cashier about how everything was cheaper in the 1940s and how things were better back in her days while rummaging around in her handbag for her copper coins.

Won't somebody think of the old folk ??

Not a lot different from the handscanner experience offered in Waitrose and some Tescos, is it? Also - it won't appeal to a large demography so it is likely to be a niche business for quite a while. A bit like home deliveries, some people use it, most don't.

I'd be happy to give it a go, but if it's going to be using facial recognition and stuff I'd stay away.

I find it far too big brother having a private company identify you in that way.

Facial recognition is nothing to worry about as its not very accurate as there are too many limitations to it to be widely used.