How far will the rise of nationalistic populism go ?

And? Do you have a crystal ball to predict what that means for me? I'm not being blasé here, I just think all of us tend to get extremely het up over things that don't directly affect us.

At the moment there are so many negative (to me) things going on around the world, most of which I have zero control over, that to be stressed about them or trying to work them out would just leave me totally frazzled, therefore I've made a conscious decision to focus on the stuff that really does affect me day to day. Trump does not. Brexit does not. Ok, both might make a small direct difference to me perhaps in terms of financial planning, job security, odds of me visiting the US for a holiday in the next 5 years but none of those things affect me more than being able to enjoy time with my friends and family and nothing has changed that. If I spend my time being stressed about the state of theworld then that might actually affect my world more.

Hope that makes sense?

That's cool. If you don't think that the collapse of the Euro, the disintegration of the EU or Donald Trump taking over the White House will affect your life, you have achieved your ambition of arriving in lala land already.

That's cool. If you don't think that the collapse of the Euro, the disintegration of the EU or Donald Trump taking over the White House will affect your life, you have achieved your ambition of arriving in lala land already.

You clearly didn't read my post very well.

Honestly, tell me in words of 2 syllables or less the DIRECT impact it will have on my life that's greater than the impact my friends and family have.

You clearly didn't read my post very well.

Honestly, tell me in words of 2 syllables or less the DIRECT impact it will have on my life that's greater than the impact my friends and family have.

I really couldn't give a toss what impact it will have on your life. But it will have an impact and to think otherwise probably explains why you are asking for folk to use words of no more than 2 syllables

Edited by aa2900

Does anyone think immigration is to blame for the rise in right wing politcs? there must be a reason for it at least in some of the countries where the far right is on the rise. is it the media, years of neo liberal politics plus a western mainstream left that has drifted rightwards to the centre..??

Edited by WestTinsley

I really couldn't give a toss what impact it will have on your life. But it will have an impact and to think otherwise probably explains why you are asking for folk to use words of no more than 2 syllables

You are new around here so I'll forgive you this time. :roll:

Does anyone think immigration is to blame for the rise in right wing politcs?
No. It's one of the main catalysts, one of the components of populism, on which that rise is built.

The global economical crisis of 2008 and its aftermath is the reason.

Immigrants are just one of the ready-made scapegoats, besides others (the disabled, the sick, the unemployed, the poor, <etc.>)

Same as last time.

And the time before that.

And the time before that.

And <...>

there must be a reason for it at least in some of the countries where the far right is on the rise. is it the media, years of neo liberal politics plus a western mainstream left that has drifted rightwards to the centre..??
There is no other 'one reason', than far less free money to go around in the system, and people being very grumpy for it.

The media and politicians just fan those flames a while and voila, I give you 2016.

I'm with sgtkate on this. Sod this for a game of soldiers, life's too short.

You are new around here so I'll forgive you this time. :roll:
He's not, you know ;)

Does anyone think immigration is to blame for the rise in right wing politcs? there must be a reason for it at least in some of the countries where the far right is on the rise. is it the media, years of neo liberal politics plus a western mainstream left that has drifted rightwards to the centre..??

I think media representation of immigration is largely to blame and also an inability from the some groups to separate out concerns over immigration with racism. People feel they aren't being listened to, they see change happening too quickly for their liking (regardless of whether the change is good or bad, all of us are a bit change averse) and they want someone to make it stop. It's very easy for a politician to manipulate people into blaming a group who is different from them and then using that as a method to gain popularity. It has happened time and time again.

So is immigration to blame, yes. But only because of how it's being used by politicians.

---------- Post added 06-12-2016 at 12:40 ----------

I'm with sgtkate on this. Sod this for a game of soldiers, life's too short.

Glad someone understood my ramblings!

He's not, you know ;)

Ah. Explains it all.

I think media representation of immigration is largely to blame and also an inability from the some groups to separate out concerns over immigration with racism. People feel they aren't being listened to, they see change happening too quickly for their liking (regardless of whether the change is good or bad, all of us are a bit change averse) and they want someone to make it stop. It's very easy for a politician to manipulate people into blaming a group who is different from them and then using that as a method to gain popularity. It has happened time and time again.

So is immigration to blame, yes. But only because of how it's being used by politicians.

You want to have a fact based discussion over immigration without one side blaming it for everything wrong in the world and the other claiming anything but completely open borders is the work of Hitler.

Yes I can see how that would be insanely useful.

I don't see it happening.

You want to have a fact based discussion over immigration without one side blaming it for everything wrong in the world and the other claiming anything but completely open borders is the work of Hitler.

Yes I can see how that would be insanely useful.

I don't see it happening.

I dreamed a dream in time gone byyyyyyyyyyy, When hope was high and life worth livingggggggggggg......

I think media representation of immigration is largely to blame and also an inability from the some groups to separate out concerns over immigration with racism. <...>
I blame the perfect cognitive storm that is social media and human stupidity.

Imagine if something as ubiquitous, editorially unsupervised and instant as Facebook had been available to Hitler in the 20s.

Mein Kampf published as Facebook clickbait to destitute and hard-up Germans toiling to keep their kids from outright starvation.

No difference, you think? Well, there you go.

Edited by L00b