Did you start clubbing in the late 1980's?

Born: 1969 - Boozing: 1986 (The York Hotel and West End, Broomhill).

Nightclubs: I did more clubs under the legal age than I have done since. In 1986 and 1987 I went fairly regularly and in these days I'd usually drink before the club and only have soft stuff inside, if indeed I drank at all! (How times change).

Isabella's was my favourite. Never too busy, no trouble and the music - to these ears - was fine. Club classics, a bit of house and a number of party classics. Most of my friends had their 18th birthday bashes there.

Maximillions - Okayish, I only went two or three times. It sold truly awful Budweiser on tap. I went with my bandmates in 1989. That was the last time I went although I seem to recall dancing to Colonel Abraham's 'Trapped' in 1986 wearing a black shirt with a pink leather (thin, straight) tie. Add to that floursecent pink socks and you'll see why the ladies steered well clear....:love:

Josephine's - A bit sophisticated or so it seemed. It even had a piano lounge/restaurant. Their door policy was quite strict and you didn't argue with 'Jaws'. Endless soul-lite like Luther Vandross but my abiding memory is of trying to dance like the lead singer from Curiosity Killed The Cat when their song Misfit came on. Thinking how cool I must be looking to all the nurses in there, it later dawned on me - with a great deal of hindsight - that I must have looked a right misfit myself.:hihi:

Al-E-Cats - Ugh. Endless hip-hop and house, frequented - in the front bar - by drunk cabbies. Spent a couple of Christmas parties in here. Last visit was probably Christmas 1987 when Pet Shop Boys were Number 1 with Always on my Mind - which they must have played because like I said, everything else was hip-hop which I detested (and still do).

Sinatra's - small but likeable. I have fond memories of this place which I'd prefer to keep to myself.

Cairo Jax - I could take or leave this place. Always full of well-past-their-bedtime school kids, sat rocking on the floor to Oops Upside Your Head. Having said that, I met up with quite a few old faces from my school days in there. There was always trouble too. Too busy for my liking. I remember Michael Jackson's Bad being played and thinking 'this is a wierd song for a disco: it does'nt even have a drum beat').

And the turd of them all, Butlins in Sheffield: The Roxy. You wiped your feet on the way out. That's if you could get them off the sticky carpet. Too much dry ice, women that should be frequenting knitting clubs not night clubs; the Hitman and Her, disco-by-numbers and enough to put one off clubbing for life.

Which it did.

anyone ever go to any warehouse parties? i had some of the best nights out ever,i can remember one huge one on Blast lane,anyone else have any memories (or lost nights!!!!)

Been to some good ones over the years - but always found its best to leave before it gets light as they are not normally a pretty sight in the morning!

I was born 1974. so I probably was clubbing late 1980's.

I was at Roxys sheff., when it was hit man & her. i am at tthe front. and am wearing short skirt and black lycra top. only reason i know that was i taped it. and went there a few times.

Archived