School Boy Memories

JOHN HABS

High Storrs Grammar 1958,Robert Bros.not just the uniform but house shirt,PE kit all with name tags to be sewn in.On top of that new satchel with trig set,pen and pencil set bottle of Quink etc.It was only later you realised the money laid out by your parents for your education.

Yes, you don't appreciate it at the time, but when you grow up you do.

My mum was a single mother, yet I still got a bike for passing the 11 plus and kitted out from Walsh's, luckily we lived with my grand parents though.

My wife and I were having a discussion about something and the topic of conversation turned towards when we were both school children and shops that our parents use to take us to for our uniforms etc.

This would be in the mid-fifties to early 60's.

Our parents use to take us to the S&E co-op that use to be at the bottom of Ecclesall Road,

for our full school uniform, PE equipment etc.......anyone remember it ?

Then we would go to a stationary shop just off the bottom end of West Street called Andrews

for all our excercise books, geometrical drawing sets etc - when not at school I was a regular visitor to this shop to buy ' I Spy Books ' anyone remember this shop ?

On Campo Lane there use to be a shop that sold uniforms and camping equipment for

Cubs, Lifebuoys, girlguides and brownies.......remember this ?

A bit further up Campo Lane opposit a pub called The Golden Ball there was a DIY shop called Silverstones.....remember this ?

There were some good shops about during the 50's and 60's - nowadays its either poundshops or eating places that have taken their place.

That took me back, as did TorontoTony as we went to the same school. I remember getting a Coventry Eagle Flight deluxe for passing the 11-plus. It was too big for me and dad screwed wooden blocks onto the pedals so that I could ride it! However I went everywhere on that, including cycling to Norfolk! Andrews stationery shop was very popular and our uniform and name tags were from Walshs. Silverstones was a place I used to buy from after getting married. I was in the Scouts and The Scout Shop on Trippet Lane was the main supplier of uniforms, woggles et al. Happy days.