Theresa May's U turn

A lot of them are. The SNP and the Liberal Democrats are. It's more about manoeuvring to water down Brexit than completely stopping it.

The Tories have a majority. They will be whipped to within an inch of their life. I suspect the SNP, LDs to all vote against it and Labour to allow a free vote which gives Corbyn a get out of jail free card as he's hardly a huge EU fan in reality.

That's your opinion, and you are wholly entitled to it.

But if you're going to state your opinion fact-like as you did, don't expect it to go unchallenged.

The challenge is appreciated. I didn't mean it to be taken as a fact. Statements of motivation are comments on what's in the heads of others so ....

---------- Post added 07-12-2016 at 15:54 ----------

The Tories have a majority. They will be whipped to within an inch of their life. I suspect the SNP, LDs to all vote against it and Labour to allow a free vote which gives Corbyn a get out of jail free card as he's hardly a huge EU fan in reality.

We'll see won't we.

The danger is not that it will be voted down, it's that somebody will manage to attach an amendment requiring that we stay in the single market or something like that.

Isn't one of the co-claimants a Brexiter? Also the motivation doesn't matter really. The MPs aren't going to block Brexit even if the court says they have to approve it. This is just pathetic arguing from the Schrodinger Brexiters who simultaneously want sovereignty and do not want it when it doesn't totally align with their utopia.
The Court cannot, and will not, say that.

All the Supreme Court will do, is affirm the HC's judgement (that the government is requirement to subject the depositing of its Art 50 declaration to Parliamentary vote) or overturn it, in accordance with those 'constitutional' UK Statutes and Case Law that govern the interrelationship (expressed in terms of sovereignty and prerogatives) of the government and Parliament.

The challenge is appreciated. I didn't mean it to be taken as a fact. Statements of motivation are comments on what's in the heads of others so
So you know enough about what is in the heads of others to comment about it?

I'm told MI6 and the CIA have lucrative openings for people with your unusual skills ;)

Edited by L00b

The Court cannot, and will not, say that.

All the Supreme Court will do, is affirm the HC's judgement (that the government is requirement to subject the depositing of its Art 50 declaration to Parliamentary vote) or overturn it, in accordance with those 'constitutional' UK Statutes and Case Law that govern the interrelationship (expressed in terms of sovereignty and prerogatives) of the government and Parliament.

Sorry, I was over simplifying things and happy to be corrected :D

So you believe that the law of the UK can be ignored at whim? Because this isn't about blocking Brexit it's simply about applying the law correctly.

The UK electorate voted in the referendum on 23rd June and their wishes should be respected by all. It's about diluting what the UK electorate voted for on June 23rd and causing maximum distruption, for the democratic wishes of the electorate being carried out. Anyone who thinks otherwise are either deluded or dishonest.

Sorry, I was over simplifying things and happy to be corrected :D
Didn't mean to correct you as such, kate, but just wanted to clarify what this case is really about, for the benefit of posters and lurkers alike. Particularly since the Leave side of the argument still seems far too happy to misrepresent, and play down the significance of, what the case is about.

"Shrödinger Brexiters", I liked that :D

The UK electorate voted in the referendum on 23rd June and their wishes should be respected by all. It's about diluting what the UK electorate voted for on June 23rd and causing maximum distruption, for the democratic wishes of the electorate being carried out. Anyone who thinks otherwise are either deluded or dishonest.

Everyone who voted out had a different idea for what they wanted from a decision to Leave. The Leave campaign did not spell out what they were after other than a Leave verdict. Farage was excluded from the main Leave campaign therefore the extent of the support for his version is doubly unknown.

We are in the hands of a party who wanted to Remain. Lead by a person who wanted to Remain. Who was not elected by anyone let alone the British public. They will negotiate whatever Leave terms they want and in doing so will comply with the wishes of the electorate who voted Leave

I am neither deluded or dishonest. You can't dilute a binary decision.

Everyone who voted out had a different idea for what they wanted from a decision to Leave. The Leave campaign did not spell out what they were after other than a Leave verdict. Farage was excluded from the main Leave campaign therefore the extent of the support for his version is doubly unknown.

This is transparently false. Andrew Neil on the BBC has dismantled it completely multiple times. The major players from both campaigns were crystal clear that a vote to leave on the 23rd was a vote to leave the single market.

We are in the hands of a party who wanted to Remain. Lead by a person who wanted to Remain. Who was not elected by anyone let alone the British public. They will negotiate whatever Leave terms they want and in doing so will comply with the wishes of the electorate who voted Leave

I am neither deluded or dishonest. You can't dilute a binary decision.

It seems to me, that those who voted remain, believe they have a better understanding of the thinking process of the people who voted to leave, than the leave voters themselves :huh: