Does this exist and if so what is it called?

Slightly odd question, sorry.

I want to put a length of chain between two metal poles to prevent access. I need to be able to loop the chain around the poles and secure with padlocks - welding or otherwise damaging the poles is not an option. However, I want to keep the chain in position and stop people from being able to slide the chain up the poles. Is there something I can secure to the poles just above the chain that will prevent the chain being pushed upwards but which could be removed with the right tools if necessary? And if so what would it be called?

thanks!

I don't think you'll find anything that can both be fitted temporarily (removable with tools) and be secure. The two things just don't tend to go together.

---------- Post added 07-12-2016 at 22:21 ----------

A few possible options I can think of are;

-Use a bolt on clamp and"round" off the bolt heads with a grinder once tightened.

-Again, a bolt on clamp but see if you can buy shear-bolts big enough for it.

-Have someone manufacture a clamp with some kind of locking device on it (the most expensive option).

Edited by RootsBooster

-Use a bolt on clamp and"round" off the bolt heads with a grinder once tightened.

-Again, a bolt on clamp but see if you can buy shear-bolts big enough for it.

You might have a job to remove those "with the right tools if necessary" but there are other security nuts and bolts that do have removal tools:

https://www.fastenright.com/products/security-fasteners

Could you slide a slightly larger diameter tube around the poles to the desired height of the looped chain, then fit another bit on the top to make up the pole's height (fixed in place at the top where it can't be seen with a suitable bolt)

If not, a metal sleeve that just slides over the existing poles (hoop welded on for the chain, angle fixings at the base) and fix it into the ground with Rawlbolts or the like (I presume the poles are concreted in?). Maybe a metal sleeve with a capping on whereby it can once again be fixed to the existing pole.

Slightly odd question, sorry.

I want to put a length of chain between two metal poles to prevent access. I need to be able to loop the chain around the poles and secure with padlocks - welding or otherwise damaging the poles is not an option. However, I want to keep the chain in position and stop people from being able to slide the chain up the poles. Is there something I can secure to the poles just above the chain that will prevent the chain being pushed upwards but which could be removed with the right tools if necessary? And if so what would it be called?

thanks!

Clamp on a scaffold coupler or even weld a ring to a coupler and connect the chain to that.

Use green loctite on the scaffold coupler bolts. You wont get that off save by grinding the bolts or a LOT of heat and you will stuff the coupler in the process but the poles will be fine.

You find a building site and apply beer tokens to one of the scaffolders... They may have some dodgy ones that are a bit bent and should need swapping because they are unsafe but they'd be ideal for what you want.

Failing that you can buy them from a proper builders merchant.