Affordable large houses

onlineo

A friend of mine who owns some properties in Sheffield, was living in a fairly remote location in Derbyshire. Being late 60's, widowed and his daughter fleeing the nest, was feeling a bit isolated, "Popping out for a curry was even a mission" he said.

Looking around, he eventually chose a place in Chesterfield. Much more bang for the buck and only a short drive into Sheffield if need be.

I just had a quick Google with your budget and saw THIS as an example.

Moving out of Sheffield is not an option.

As an aside that house in Chesterfield is really ugly and still not big enough for my liking.

I wasn't suggesting you buy it:D Just introducing the option of thinking outside Sheffield. Of course its horses for courses.

You want a massive house, with a huge garden in the centre of a city and you don't want to pay going rate??

Are you for real??

Do you not think everyone would be living in those sort of houses if they could be picked up for pocket money.

You want a nice place you will have to pay for it!

If you want a large house with a large garden in Sheffield close to a good primary school in my opinion you'll need to increase your budget or compromise on either your house requirements or the area you're willing to look at.

You could get exactly what you're after in any of the surrounding towns (Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley etc) but I would be surprised if you can get it in Sheffield.

Probably best bet is get yourself ready to buy and then set alerts on right move and Zoopla for the area's you are after and hope a bargain comes up. You may pickup a distressed sale or a deceased estate if you're lucky but they come up rarely and when they do they have 15/20 interested parties.

Our house in Walkley ticks most of your boxes (garden might be slightly smaller tha 75ft + and is tiered). It's a semi-detached Victorian property - there are a few dotted in and around the terraces and newer houses in the area.

Bought it 5 years ago, but it needed a lot of work doing (luckily mostly cosmetic).

You might be lucky and find a student landlord selling an ex-multiple occupancy property in the Broomhill /Crookesmoor areas now more students are living in purpose built apartments. Doubt you would get a massive garden, though.

Wow loads of responses. We wont have the finances ready for 12-18 months so we are not in a hurry. I wanted to start thinking about it early, otherwise we are going to end up in a Crosspool in a 1200-1300sq ft house which for me would be too much of a compromise (our current terrace in Crookes has loft and cellar conversion so it is around 1150sq ft - If we are spending another £100,000 I feel I would want more than 10% size increase and a large garden).

You want a massive house, with a huge garden in the centre of a city and you don't want to pay going rate??

Are you for real??

Do you not think everyone would be living in those sort of houses if they could be picked up for pocket money.

You want a nice place you will have to pay for it!

I am for real, I understand a compromise has to be made and that will mostly be moving from the west of the city as that is too expensive, but other parts of the city are nice and have good schools and are more affordable. I will be paying the market rate. What I don't know is where there are large houses in places that fulfill our criteria, and how nice these areas are. We shall look into the areas mentioned though.

Meersbrook was mentioned, and whilst I do not know about the schools or the area that much, the park is lovely. Spend £50-£75k insulating and renovating this property and you have a lovely looking massive home that fulfills most of our desires. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56798281.html

Our house in Walkley ticks most of your boxes (garden might be slightly smaller tha 75ft + and is tiered). It's a semi-detached Victorian property - there are a few dotted in and around the terraces and newer houses in the area.

Bought it 5 years ago, but it needed a lot of work doing (luckily mostly cosmetic).

You might be lucky and find a student landlord selling an ex-multiple occupancy property in the Broomhill /Crookesmoor areas now more students are living in purpose built apartments. Doubt you would get a massive garden, though.

Good idea. Some of those houses could be quite lovely, the park access from Broomhill is poor but it is good from Crookesmoor. Harcourt Rd in Crookesmoor looks lovely with some biggish houses. It is mainly students but that will change over time as more of them live in the purpose built flats, so there could be a property or 2 at auction.