Affordable large houses

onlineo

Wow loads of responses. We wont have the finances ready for 12-18 months so we are not in a hurry. I wanted to start thinking about it early, otherwise we are going to end up in a Crosspool in a 1200-1300sq ft house which for me would be too much of a compromise (our current terrace in Crookes has loft and cellar conversion so it is around 1150sq ft - If we are spending another £100,000 I feel I would want more than 10% size increase and a large garden)..

We were in the same situation - we were moving from a terrace in Walkley and worked out that a significantly more expensive semi in Crosspool would actually be down-sizing! We made the decision to go for a (considerably) bigger house in Walkley and haven't had any regrets - a lovely area with a great community spirit, fantastic views and couldn't be happier with the kids' school.

We were in the same situation - we were moving from a terrace in Walkley and worked out that a significantly more expensive semi in Crosspool would actually be down-sizing! We made the decision to go for a (considerably) bigger house in Walkley and haven't had any regrets - a lovely area with a great community spirit, fantastic views and couldn't be happier with the kids' school.

We were the same. I'd happily have stayed in Walkley. There is the odd larger house, but not that many of them, so when they do come on the market they tend to be expensive. We ended up moving to Wadsley/Middlewood end of Hillsborough and haven't regretted it a bit. Good transport with the trams, park nearby, decent Sainsburys down the road now.

There are some lovely character houses with decent gardens in the Marcliffe Road area, the OP could try looking around there.

I reckon Loxley might be worth a look. There are some big houses between the Wadsley junction and the Admiral Rodney. Or the old bit of Wadlsey and into Worrall

The trick though around there is making sure you are in the Bradfield catchment area rather than the Forge Valley one

Don't they sell for about 800k, the ones close to the Admiral Rodney?

---------- Post added 13-12-2016 at 07:45 ----------

I am for real, I understand a compromise has to be made and that will mostly be moving from the west of the city as that is too expensive, but other parts of the city are nice and have good schools and are more affordable. I will be paying the market rate. What I don't know is where there are large houses in places that fulfill our criteria, and how nice these areas are. We shall look into the areas mentioned though.

Meersbrook was mentioned, and whilst I do not know about the schools or the area that much, the park is lovely. Spend £50-£75k insulating and renovating this property and you have a lovely looking massive home that fulfills most of our desires. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56798281.html

Doesn't that only meet your size requirement if you include the cellar and 'integral coachhouse'?

And despite the description the garden doesn't look massive.

The kitchen looks very odd too, it seems as if there's next to no workspace in there?

How are you supposed to prepare/cook/serve a meal, over the sink??

Granted with a bunch of money thrown at it the place would be very nice indeed.

Looking at the pictures, that house hasn't been touched in decades so would probably require a huge scheme of modernisation (plumbing, electrics, plastering, obviously kitchen and bathroom works). It could certainly be a lovely house but would need a huge amount of money spending on it, but I suppose that's reflected in the reduced price for a house of that size in that area.

You want a massive house, with a huge garden in the centre of a city and you don't want to pay going rate??

Are you for real??

Do you not think everyone would be living in those sort of houses if they could be picked up for pocket money.

You want a nice place you will have to pay for it!

I can sort of see your sentiments geared but my answer would be 'no' for several reasons. Not everyone wants to live in town or city and you don't need to for a quick commute. Sadly I don't think the OP 'gets' what you mean.

I have lived in various places in Rotherham and one place in Worksop. I used to commute to Sheffield city centre on a daily basis much quicker than my colleagues living only a few miles away from the city centre. Its about ease / speed of access (amongst other things).

You want a massive house, with a huge garden in the centre of a city and you don't want to pay going rate??

Are you for real??

Do you not think everyone would be living in those sort of houses if they could be picked up for pocket money.

You want a nice place you will have to pay for it!

It totally depends on where you are willing to live and personally wouldn't live anywhere near the city centre as the places ie meersbrook look a right hole.

I have lived in various places in Rotherham and one place in Worksop. I used to commute to Sheffield city centre on a daily basis much quicker than my colleagues living only a few miles away from the city centre. Its about ease / speed of access (amongst other things).

He's still right that you do have to pay more for a large house close to the city with a big garden and a good school though.

And I know people who commute from Worksop, it takes 30 to 45 minutes, that's not quicker than anyone who lives close to the city. I could practically walk to the centre in that time and I'm 4 miles away.

It totally depends on where you are willing to live and personally wouldn't live anywhere near the city centre as the places ie meersbrook look a right hole.

Horses for courses - Meersbrook is very popular with folk who wouldn't dream of buying a new build estate type house further out for less money. Doesn't mean either are right or wrong - just after different things.