Central government want council tax rise to fund elderly care.

My neighbour, who has worked all his life up til retiring lives alone now. He does have family but no-one that looks after him (that's me being diplomatic). My O/H is, at this minute, sitting with him to give him some company. My neighbour goes in and out of hospital because he falls, but, occasionally he says he feels unwell and wants an ambulance.

He will admit that sometimes he just feels so lonely that he wants to be in hospital.

He has no-one, other than us to get any shopping in. Me and another neighbour give him hot meals whenever we can, but it's not everyday.

If he had some help, he could stay at home happily instead of using NHS rescouces. I believe a little help would save a lot of money.

I don't know where this money should come from, but I do know it would save money in the long run.

Social services should pay for it. Unless you have someone fighting your corner social services won't do anything.

Do you have to get a professional person to refer you to social services or could I do it? Anyone know?

I think anyone could do it - but I'm sure there are more qualified than I to answer that. Having said that, if he keeps turning up in hospital he should be on someone at social services radar.

Social services should pay for it. Unless you have someone fighting your corner social services won't do anything.

I agree but the problem we have is that if everyone who should get support got it the council would go bust overnight because they no longer have the money to meet their legal duties. This is why they are breaking the law consistently to deny people a service that they are entitled to. And that is because councils took the brunt of austerity from 2010 onwards; the coalition government even doubled the amount of cuts in the first year to cut their budgets as quickly as possible, which also gave them less chance to plan.

---------- Post added 14-12-2016 at 13:42 ----------

Do you have to get a professional person to refer you to social services or could I do it? Anyone know?

No, anyone can refer, it's 2734908. But don't just say that he needs help with shopping and cleaning or they will tell you "we don't do just shopping and cleaning" even though that is an unlawful position to take. Later I'll link to the eligibility criteria for you.

It is aimed at providing care for people in their homes. But then people have hot to want and accept that care. Before my father in law died, my mother in law looked after him at home, cooking for him, cleaning, doing his personal care, we would help when they would allow us and would do their heavy shopping. He was in and out of hospital with his various illnesses, yet not once did either hospital offer a social work referral or ask if they needed any extra help, they just presumed she was ok carrying on. Which to the last time she was, so i told them they needed to sort something, but she should have been offered.

Then to top it all off, the other morning an ambulance arrived to take father in law to an out patients appointment which mother in law had cancelled they day after he died (a few months ago).

Also i have elderly grandparents who live at other side of south yorkshire, my grandad has dementia and my grandma cares for him and they refuse help. My grandad wont have a brain scan the gp wanted him to have to see how far his dementia has progressed, he refused medication as he said he was already taking enough. He was having dementia nurses visit but one said something he didnt like so he asked them to leave, so they decided there is no point continuing to visit. They wont have social workers or carers involved. My grandma wont even go out and leave my grandad with family and i work as a carer who has looked after lots of people with dementia over the years, one of my aunties is a nurse and the other auntie used to be a nursing auxillary with the elderly.

My neighbour, who has worked all his life up til retiring lives alone now. He does have family but no-one that looks after him (that's me being diplomatic). My O/H is, at this minute, sitting with him to give him some company. My neighbour goes in and out of hospital because he falls, but, occasionally he says he feels unwell and wants an ambulance.

He will admit that sometimes he just feels so lonely that he wants to be in hospital.

He has no-one, other than us to get any shopping in. Me and another neighbour give him hot meals whenever we can, but it's not everyday.

If he had some help, he could stay at home happily instead of using NHS rescouces. I believe a little help would save a lot of money.

I don't know where this money should come from, but I do know it would save money in the long run.

Sheltered housing could be a solution, has he considered it? Independent accommodation but with communal facilities and available support. As the ageing population continues to increase we're going to have more and more older people living in isolation. For many of us, moving into appropriate accommodation would delay the need for more intensive care/nursing homes, and it would also reduce bed blocking in the NHS.

Sheltered housing could be a solution, has he considered it? Independent accommodation but with communal facilities and available support. As the ageing population continues to increase we're going to have more and more older people living in isolation. For many of us, moving into appropriate accommodation would delay the need for more intensive care/nursing homes, and it would also reduce bed blocking in the NHS.

He doesn't want to move. Firstly, his wife passed away and he doesn't want to leave the house they shared and secondly, he doesn't want to leave his neighbours. As I said we do what we can for him and I think he is scared of losing that support even though we have tried to tell him that he would have support in sheltered housing.

he might not be able to afford the sheltered housing fees plus aren't a lot of wardens being axed?

I believe it's covered by housing benefits for pensioners who meet the criteria.

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/ShelteredHousing/WhatAreTheBenefitsAndCosts.aspx

Information about help and support to remain at home here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adult/support-available/support-at-home.html

I hope this may be useful Jane.

Edited by Ms Macbeth