Respecting others' beliefs and customs, where do we draw the line?

Should we respect peoples' beliefs?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should we respect peoples' beliefs?

• We should respect the right to believe, not the actual belief
    • We should respect people's beliefs
    • We shouldn't respect beliefs of others or their right to believe
    • Other (explain)

Here's a thought for you.

I'm on a hospital ward. The guy in the bed next to me is religious and has the chaplain visit him for comfort. Every day the chaplain prays for him and all other sick people to be healed.

I don't want pointless prayers. They make me feel uncomfortable. Do I have the right to insist the chaplain only prays for the individual in the bed?

Probably not. You have the right to ask, but not insist.

Interestingly there's (so far) four people voting for "we should respect people's beliefs".

I wonder if they've considered that not all peoples' beliefs are like the ones they probably had in mind.

Would they respect the beliefs of murdering jihadists and paedophiles?

Interestingly there's (so far) four people voting for "we should respect people's beliefs".

I wonder if they've considered that not all peoples' beliefs are like the ones they probably had in mind.

The core belief is Islam so they're respecting that I suppose rather than the beheadings etc.

I'm talking about the specific belief that infidels should be killed.

That is not even a belief- I would have thought someone like you at least may have had some background knowledge- being so inclined to evidence:rolleyes:

I won't linger on with a detailed explanation- the link/extract from it pretty much should even placate someone like you.

The verses that come immediately before 9:5 state, “Those with whom you have treaties are immune from attack.” It further states, “Fulfill your treaties with them to the end of their term, for God loves the conscientious.” Now, in its proper context, verse 9:5 can be properly understood.

This was a guidance to the Prophet at that specific time to fight those idolaters who, as 9:4 mentions, violated their treaty obligations and helped others fight against the Muslims. It is not a general command to attack all non-Muslims, and it has never signified this to the overwhelming majority of Muslims throughout history. Had it been so, then every year, after the “sacred months are past,” (The “sacred months” are four months out of the year during which fighting is not allowed) history would have witnessed Muslims attacking every non-Muslim in sight. This yearly slaughter never occurred. Though the present verse is only one example, none of the Quranic verses that mention fighting justify aggression nor propose attacking anyone because of their religious beliefs. Nor were forced conversions recognized as valid under Islamic law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kabir-helminski/does-the-quran-really-adv_b_722114.html

That is not even a belief- I would have thought someone like you at least may have had some background knowledge- being so inclined to evidence:rolleyes:

I won't linger on with a detailed explanation- the link/extract from it pretty much should even placate someone like you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kabir-helminski/does-the-quran-really-adv_b_722114.html

Strangely, you seem to think people can only believe something if it's written down in a book.

Are you saying that there are no people on the planet who believe people should die for not believing in their god?

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 18:29 ----------

I thought I believed that dinosaurs walked the earth millions of years ago, but it doesn't appear to be in the Qoran so I guess that's not even a belief either.

Edited by RootsBooster

Somebody needs to bone up on their Hadith.

Tbf your poll is ambiguous, so people are probably voting on their interpretation of it.

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 19:09 ----------

I'm talking about the specific belief that infidels should be killed.

How many posts did it take for you to get onto Islam zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz