Respecting others' beliefs and customs, where do we draw the line?

Should we respect peoples' beliefs?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should we respect peoples' beliefs?

• We should respect the right to believe, not the actual belief
    • We should respect people's beliefs
    • We shouldn't respect beliefs of others or their right to believe
    • Other (explain)

Hey Baz1, is the Quran a guide for one particular time and place, or is it an eternal unchanging everlasting perfect guide for humanity straight from god?

Because you can't really have both.

The way I have understood it is that you have mention of previous nations that had their own messages etc and some of this is related.

For Muslims, Islam is a belief system with moral and practical laws that are inculcated in the Qur’an for all human beings.

On the contrary it's the theists that never shut up knocking on doors, plraying none stop and blathering on about how they are somehow "special" and need space and time and whatnot so they can be nasty to those awful subhuman atheists....

(I've made one point about asking theists not to do something - so I'm the bad guy? Sheesh. Take a look at yourself I know you live in the antiatheist capitals of the world but c'mon)

You see now, we don't live in a place where everybody screams for or against religion. There's more a sense of live and let live in a counry made up of immigrants from every religion or non belief on earth. The country has had its bad moments, and will continue to, but all in all we manage to overcome the kind of hatred that you are prescribing to.It can stay in UK as far as I'm concerned. All I have to worry about now is Trump.

You see now, we don't live in a place where everybody screams for or against religion. There's more a sense of live and let live in a counry made up of immigrants from every religion or non belief on earth. The country has had its bad moments, and will continue to, but all in all we manage to overcome the kind of hatred that you are prescribing to.It can stay in UK as far as I'm concerned. All I have to worry about now is Trump.

And yet you have religious fundamentalists trying to get the law changed to make abortion illegal, and the governmental head of your education system doesn't believe in evolution...

Considering that the USA was the place that made me feel the most unwelcome and has the greatest intolerance of atheists I've ever know I can only presume you are not describing the USA in that post.

The thing that struck me most about America was the overwhelming amount of gun shops and churches, they're everywhere.

-A country which, only 60 years ago, altered its pledge of allegiance to include the words "under God".

-A bunch of states that make up almost a third of the mainland US is referred to as the 'Bible belt.

-The home of 'Mega-churches' which are big business and make their pastors extremely wealthy (millionaires, actually).

-Courthouses, police departments and government buildings all over the US bear Bible quotes, Christian mottos and symbols (even though they're not supposed to).

-Expected to swear on the Bible when testifying or becoming President.

-The message of Christianity literally spread from hand to hand with every single person in the US, via their currency (In God we trust).

-Despite constitutional restrictions, six states have laws on the books barring atheists from holding public office. Unless it's changed recently (there have been a couple campaigning for election) America has no atheists in congress.

-Etc.

Some stuff;

Atheists 2nd least liked group in America

Atheists trusted less than rapists

What happens when atheists try to stand for election

Why Americans Hate Atheists

When atheists (or people of other faiths) speak out against the massively unfair endorsement of Christianity in the US, which spits in the face of 'separation of church and state', they are attacked for it (ironically accused of persecuting the Christian faith).

Live and let live is not the term I would use.

Edited by RootsBooster

To my mind; respecting someone's beliefs is not synonymous with respecting the person who holds those beliefs. If you hold an opposing view point on a matter to someone; there's no reason why you can't explore your differences, and it doesn't need to be done in a disrespectful or heated way. In fact; doing so, is more respectful of an individual than not doing so.

I guess you just need to be aware that some people have more fixed perspectives and are not open to change; you can lead a horse to water, but you can't push it in...

The thing that struck me most about America was the overwhelming amount of gun shops and churches, they're everywhere.

-A country which, only 60 years ago, altered its pledge of allegiance to include the words "under God".

-A bunch of states that make up almost a third of the mainland US is referred to as the 'Bible belt.

-The home of 'Mega-churches' which are big business and make their pastors extremely wealthy (millionaires, actually).

-Courthouses, police departments and government buildings all over the US bear Bible quotes, Christian mottos and symbols (even though they're not supposed to).

-Expected to swear on the Bible when testifying or becoming President.

-The message of Christianity literally spread from hand to hand with every single person in the US, via their currency (In God we trust).

-Despite constitutional restrictions, six states have laws on the books barring atheists from holding public office. Unless it's changed recently (there have been a couple campaigning for election) America has no atheists in congress.

-Etc.

Some stuff;

Atheists 2nd least liked group in America

Atheists trusted less than rapists

What happens when atheists try to stand for election

Why Americans Hate Atheists

When atheists (or people of other faiths) speak out against the massively unfair endorsement of Christianity in the US, which spits in the face of 'separation of church and state', they are attacked for it (ironically accused of persecuting the Christian faith).

Live and let live is not the term I would use.

Not forgetting the churches don't pay a penny in tax.

So it doesn't matter if they affect other people, just not you and yours?

Others may have different opinions as well as the ability to stand up for their themselves. If I told others how to feel or act, that would make me no different to those trying to impose their religious or cultural beliefs on me.