Respecting others' beliefs and customs, where do we draw the line?

Should we respect peoples' beliefs?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should we respect peoples' beliefs?

• We should respect the right to believe, not the actual belief
    • We should respect people's beliefs
    • We shouldn't respect beliefs of others or their right to believe
    • Other (explain)

Others may have different opinions as well as the ability to stand up for their themselves. If I told others how to feel or act, that would make me no different to those trying to impose their religious or cultural beliefs on me.

Why would you have to tell them how to feel or act? I thought we were talking about respect, not tolerance.

And yet you have religious fundamentalists trying to get the law changed to make abortion illegal, and the governmental head of your education system doesn't believe in evolution...
The place is full of every possible opinion, so you can always find someone you can insult if you want to. I don't give a gnats about what our head of education thinks. My opinion is just as good or bad as his. But I am allowed to have it without fear of retaliation. Pretty good place to live despite what you guys think.

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 21:04 ----------

Considering that the USA was the place that made me feel the most unwelcome and has the greatest intolerance of atheists I've ever know I can only presume you are not describing the USA in that post.

I can only think that somehow you made yourself unpopular here.

I came here from Canada in 1977. I have lived and worked in New England for most of my years with numerous visits all over this continent on working trips and vacations. I lost my Sheffield born wife in a car crash in 1979, and three years later married my Irish wife. I thus became an active member of a large Irish American family, which for a Brit could have been hard. It never was.

My opinion is just as good or bad as his. But I am allowed to have it without fear of retaliation. Pretty good place to live despite what you guys think.

If your view of the UK is based on Sheffield Forum general discussions section, then yeah as you said it is often "a place where everybody screams for or against religion". And then if you're basing your view of the US from your general everyday experience where religion probably has little impact then yeah I can see why you'd have the opinion you do.

The truth is what you've just said there applies in the UK pretty much the same way it does in the US, in some ways we even have it better, for example as others have pointed out it is easier to publicly be an atheist over here. I'm sure in other ways I can't think of right now we have it worse too.

Can you even imagine the outrage amongst significant sections of your population if say for example, president elect Donald Trump came out as an atheist? Or say a Muslim?

You guys haven't exactly nailed secularism yet, and nor have we, it's still a work in progress.

Edited by flamingjimmy

If your view of the UK is based on Sheffield Forum general discussions section, then yeah as you said it is often "a place where everybody screams for or against religion". And then if you're basing your view of the US from your general everyday experience where religion probably has little impact then yeah I can see why you'd have the opinion you do.

The truth is what you've just said there applies in the UK pretty much the same way it does in the US, in some ways we even have it better, for example as others have pointed out it is easier to publicly be an atheist over here. I'm sure in other ways I can't think of right now we have it worse too.

Can you even imagine the outrage amongst significant sections of your population if say for example, president elect Donald Trump came out as an atheist? Or say a Muslim?

You guys haven't exactly nailed secularism yet, and nor have we, it's still a work in progress.

I don't think I have ever heard Trump express anything about religion. I don't even know if he's jewish as some people are of the opinion he is. It's true there is some opposition to atheists. One Nation under god, indivisable and all that. But we get pretty divisible at times though

not much yelling at each other over god. Live and let live works well. You should try it. I must admit in those years long ago when I came home from the sea in the Navy when Sunday in Sheffield could get pretty dreadful because A Moron called Misery Martin tried to shut down everyhting. We would hire a coach to take us to the Astoria in Nottingham for a night's dancing with Nott's beautiful girls.

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 23:50 ----------

The thing that struck me most about America was the overwhelming amount of gun shops and churches, they're everywhere.

-A country which, only 60 years ago, altered its pledge of allegiance to include the words "under God".

-A bunch of states that make up almost a third of the mainland US is referred to as the 'Bible belt.

-The home of 'Mega-churches' which are big business and make their pastors extremely wealthy (millionaires, actually).

-Courthouses, police departments and government buildings all over the US bear Bible quotes, Christian mottos and symbols (even though they're not supposed to).

-Expected to swear on the Bible when testifying or becoming President.

-The message of Christianity literally spread from hand to hand with every single person in the US, via their currency (In God we trust).

-Despite constitutional restrictions, six states have laws on the books barring atheists from holding public office. Unless it's changed recently (there have been a couple campaigning for election) America has no atheists in congress.

-Etc.

Some stuff;

Atheists 2nd least liked group in America

Atheists trusted less than rapists

What happens when atheists try to stand for election

Why Americans Hate Atheists

When atheists (or people of other faiths) speak out against the massively unfair endorsement of Christianity in the US, which spits in the face of 'separation of church and state', they are attacked for it (ironically accused of persecuting the Christian faith).

Live and let live is not the term I would use.

I guess you won't be coming over to visit us for a while. What a shame. But we'll continue to pray for you. Which would you like Catholic, Roman or Greek, Jewish, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Shintu? Take your pick. Edited by buck

The place is full of every possible opinion, so you can always find someone you can insult if you want to. I don't give a gnats about what our head of education thinks. My opinion is just as good or bad as his. But I am allowed to have it without fear of retaliation.

He can't take away your opinion. But he can guarantee that children aren't taught fundamental science in your schools. :huh:

He can't take away your opinion. But he can guarantee that children aren't taught fundamental science in your schools. :huh:
How do you know what is being taught in our schools? Fifty States have fifty different agendas. We continue to create scientists by the score, inventors by the ton. I pay honour to Britain's scientific achievements and an education system that allowed me to continue my working life in another hemisphere. My youngest son holds a Master's degree from a renowned New Hampshire college. I'm sure it's as good as anything from Sheffield U.

How could I possible know? Perhaps you can think of a way in which I might find out... G, g, g, g, goo, goo, goo, gle.

But as expected you entirely miss the point.

Google is just another list of opinions. Try harder. You might think because I write about the bullying attitude theists in UK have toward anybody who visits a church. You could not be further from the truth bout my own devotion. I'm not as sure about the after life as some seem to be. At 85 years old I know I will find out (or not) within a few years. I hope I will be with my beloved wife again, or maybe she found someone else in the 37 years she's been gone. I did. But if there is no after life, I can't possibly be disappointed can I. So what's wrong wth a little hoping. What good does it do for an atheist to try and remove that hope since it does not change his or her own life whatever, except to make him or her feel superior in some unidentifiable way. What I think upsets atheists and low key church goers are the evangelists who bother you so much in the UK. We don't get them so much and the Mormons appear to have settled in UK. On my last visit to London years ago I was accosted by two young Mormons from Utah. When I told them I was from Connecticut they disappeared like a rocket. nough said about this subject, it's run its course as far as I'm concerned. If you answer don't forget to attach the litle blue figure pointing the finger at its head. I'm sorry you're so afflicted. Edited by buck

I don't need to try any harder, because that answers

"How do you know what is being taught in our schools"

Doesn't it.

If you spend your life hoping that the "next one" will be better then you're wasting time and energy that you could be investing in making this one as good as possible.

I've no idea why you think we're bothered by evangelists in the UK, it's almost strictly a US phenomena. In my entire life I think I've answered the door twice to Jehovah's witnesses and they left about 2 seconds later when I said no thanks and closed the door.

Are you not at all concerned about your anti evolution education secretary? I appreciate that even your grandchildren won't be at school now, but perhaps there will be great grandchildren.

I can only think that somehow you made yourself unpopular here.

I declined an invitiation to go to church on Sunday. That was about all it took - they dont like atheists at all. As one said, "I can cope with c**n and n*****r but no way and I workign with a godless f****** atheist"

Wonderfully welcoming country. Not.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 11:38 ----------

One Nation under god, indivisable and all that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion - ever heard of that....? Only when convenient......

But we'll continue to pray for you. Which would you like Catholic, Roman or Greek, Jewish, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Shintu? Take your pick.

None thanks.