Respecting others' beliefs and customs, where do we draw the line?

Should we respect peoples' beliefs?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should we respect peoples' beliefs?

• We should respect the right to believe, not the actual belief
    • We should respect people's beliefs
    • We shouldn't respect beliefs of others or their right to believe
    • Other (explain)

I don't need to try any harder, because that answers

"How do you know what is being taught in our schools"

Doesn't it.

If you spend your life hoping that the "next one" will be better then you're wasting time and energy that you could be investing in making this one as good as possible.

I've no idea why you think we're bothered by evangelists in the UK, it's almost strictly a US phenomena. In my entire life I think I've answered the door twice to Jehovah's witnesses and they left about 2 seconds later when I said no thanks and closed the door.

Are you not at all concerned about your anti evolution education secretary? I appreciate that even your grandchildren won't be at school now, but perhaps there will be great grandchildren.

What utter nonsense! I was actually enjoying a little bit of a laugh while writing to you. I have lived a very full life, with enough grandkids to be on a basketball starting lineup plus spares. Survived a major car crash which killed my wife and crtippled my son, survived a german bomb on my home in Tinsley which destroyed it while we were in it, a cardiac arrest of five minutes in 1986, a fire aboard the carrier HMS Indomitable, whick killed thirty of my shipmates. Do you honestly think your puny prose bothers me. Remember when you get on about One nation under god, that your football crowds sing God save our gracious queen, for the head of the English Church, your officisal religion. We don't have one. By the way I have no great grand children, my grandchildren are Greg 25, Betty 22, Megan 15, Victoria 14, Michaela 13, Austin 9, and my little treasure Lauren 8 Edited by buck

What utter nonsense! I was actually enjoying a little bit of a laugh while writing to you. I have lived a very full life, with enough grandkids to be on a basketball starting lineup plus spares. Survived a major car crash which killed my wife and crtippled my son, survived a german bomb on my home in Tinsley which destroyed it while we were in it, a cardiac arrest of five minutes in 1986, a fire aboard the carrier HMS Indomitable, whick killed thirty of my shipmates. Do you honestly think your puny prose bothers me. Remember when you get on about One nation under god, that your football crowds sing God save our gracious queen, for the head of the English Church, your officisal religion. WE don't have one.

Oddly you seem to think that a list of unrelated events in your life have some relevance to anything in this thread.

You also seem to think that there's some song about the Queen sung at football matches.

What utter nonsense! I was actually enjoying a little bit of a laugh while writing to you. I have lived a very full life, with enough grandkids to be on a basketball starting lineup plus spares. Survived a major car crash which killed my wife and crtippled my son, survived a german bomb on my home in Tinsley which destroyed it while we were in it, a cardiac arrest of five minutes in 1986, a fire aboard the carrier HMS Indomitable, whick killed thirty of my shipmates. Do you honestly think your puny prose bothers me. Remember when you get on about One nation under god, that your football crowds sing God save our gracious queen, for the head of the English Church, your officisal religion. We don't have one. By the way I have no great grand children, my grandchildren are Greg 25, Betty 22, Megan 15, Victoria 14, Michaela 13, Austin 9, and my little treasure Lauren 8

Apparently my writing has made you angry, so angry that you've entirely missed the point once again.

You seem to be in denial about the state of the US and desperate to make things "worse" in the UK.

Oddly you seem to think that a list of unrelated events in your life have some relevance to anything in this thread.

You also seem to think that there's some song about the Queen sung at football matches.

You clearly have no idea about what you're talking. Just shut up and go away.

If your view of the UK is based on Sheffield Forum general discussions section, then yeah as you said it is often "a place where everybody screams for or against religion". And then if you're basing your view of the US from your general everyday experience where religion probably has little impact then yeah I can see why you'd have the opinion you do.

The truth is what you've just said there applies in the UK pretty much the same way it does in the US, in some ways we even have it better, for example as others have pointed out it is easier to publicly be an atheist over here. I'm sure in other ways I can't think of right now we have it worse too.

Can you even imagine the outrage amongst significant sections of your population if say for example, president elect Donald Trump came out as an atheist? Or say a Muslim?

You guys haven't exactly nailed secularism yet, and nor have we, it's still a work in progress.

Or even gay :hihi:

I don't think I have ever heard Trump express anything about religion.

I cannot believe that people really believe in God, especially the ones that are successful.

Surely they are intelligent people and can see that the belief in God is taught.

Apparently my writing has made you angry, so angry that you've entirely missed the point once again.

You seem to be in denial about the state of the US and desperate to make things "worse" in the UK.

Time to call it a halt. I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. We can at least do that wirhout any strings attached. I was not the slightest bit angry.It's not in my nature to be so. I know my USA. It's a lot better than you think. Edited by buck