Photographs of lees hall

"Lees Hall is one of the tragedies of urban development in the Sheffield of the 1950's . A few years short of enlightened legislation that would have saved it, the Hall was demolished in 1957 despite an offer from the then owner to help with repairs. The rubble was bulldozed into the pond conveniently situated by the Hall, and it passed into history. In 1998, the pond was excavated as part of a local Wildlife initiative and in a strange twist of fate, the ruins of the Hall were bulldozed back to where they originally stood. Less than a year afterwards, the local vegetation has claimed the stones back and they will probably lie there undisturbed for centuries."

....from nick robinsons wonderful site about lees hall which you can access if you type "lees hall farm" into google.

we live near where the old lees hall used to be (near newfield school); ive been researching it on the net.

i would LOVE to see some photographs of the interior or more exterior pics.

we've found a few pics at the lees hall site above, but there must be more pics kicking around somewhere. has anyone got any info or contacts i could chase up?

thanks in advance if anyone can help!

and what a BLOOMING tragedy that such an historic building was demolished such a short time before stricter preservation rules came into force :(

"Lees Hall is one of the tragedies of urban development in the Sheffield of the 1950's . A few years short of enlightened legislation that would have saved it, the Hall was demolished in 1957 despite an offer from the then owner to help with repairs. The rubble was bulldozed into the pond conveniently situated by the Hall, and it passed into history. In 1998, the pond was excavated as part of a local Wildlife initiative and in a strange twist of fate, the ruins of the Hall were bulldozed back to where they originally stood. Less than a year afterwards, the local vegetation has claimed the stones back and they will probably lie there undisturbed for centuries."

....from nick robinsons wonderful site about lees hall which you can access if you type "lees hall farm" into google.

we live near where the old lees hall used to be (near newfield school); ive been researching it on the net.

i would LOVE to see some photographs of the interior or more exterior pics.

we've found a few pics at the lees hall site above, but there must be more pics kicking around somewhere. has anyone got any info or contacts i could chase up?

thanks in advance if anyone can help!

and what a BLOOMING tragedy that such an historic building was demolished such a short time before stricter preservation rules came into force :(

So would I, is this not a part of Sheffield History that we should preserve, anybody know? Too short?

The maisonette I grew up in, on the Gleadless Valley, commanded a fabulous view over the Lees Hall Golf course.

As kiddies, my sister and I used to sit on the vbalcony and watch the golfers as they strolled about the course.

Stunning views of the Lees Hall and Rollestone woods, too.

PT

I was reading a local history book the other night and it seems that lots of former big houses in this region were sold very cheaply to the local council because they had got into a state and demolished soon after.

Former big houses which are lost include.

Whitely wood hall, Chipping house, Field Head House, Thorpe House, Lees Hall, abbeydale grange, the list goes on..

One of the saddest is the sill visible big house off abbeydale road near the bottom of woodseats road.

thanks.

I was reading a local history book the other night and it seems that lots of former big houses in this region were sold very cheaply to the local council because they had got into a state and demolished soon after.

the owner of lees hall offered to help pay for repairs but the house was ordered to be demolished, so i understand. my guess is the underlying motive by the council of the time was that it was an embarrassing rambling eyesore during a post war period of renovation.

Former big houses which are lost include.

Whitely wood hall, Chipping house, Field Head House, Thorpe House, Lees Hall, abbeydale grange, the list goes on..

One of the saddest is the sill visible big house off abbeydale road near the bottom of woodseats road.

where exactly is that, muddycoffee? im interested.

The maisonette I grew up in, on the Gleadless Valley, commanded a fabulous view over the Lees Hall Golf course.

As kiddies, my sister and I used to sit on the vbalcony and watch the golfers as they strolled about the course.

Stunning views of the Lees Hall and Rollestone woods, too.

PT

wow you grew up with a view of lees hall?! no kidding! that is so cool :)

• 2 weeks later...