Photographs of lees hall

I was reading a local history book the other night and it seems that lots of former big houses in this region were sold very cheaply to the local council because they had got into a state and demolished soon after.

Former big houses which are lost include.

Whitely wood hall, Chipping house, Field Head House, Thorpe House, Lees Hall, abbeydale grange, the list goes on..

One of the saddest is the sill visible big house off abbeydale road near the bottom of woodseats road.

Was that Holt House where the Abbey Glen Laundry is/was ?

Highfield House, Lowfield Cottage, Fieldhead House and Broadfield House were all sold by their owners for development in the 1870s, - or thereabouts.

Whitley Wood Hall was demolished in 1957 but I believe the stable block is now used as a private dwelling and is listed grade 2.

One survivor is the row of houses formerly known as Highfield terrace which stand on the left hand side of St. Barnabas Road. I think these were contemporary with Highfield House, and the big house known as Mount Pleasant is still there at the bottom of Sharrow lane.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Francis Barker lived there. He married Anne Parker. She was the heiress of Norton Lees. The Parkers were the squires of Norton Lees and the Barkers were the squires of Dore and Totley. I do not know who lived there after them but it might be interesting if someone could answer this.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 10:40 ----------

[/color]Lees Hall that is!

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 08:12 ----------

Just a quick reply. The big house near the bottom of Woodseats Road which is on Barmouth Road was called Abbeydale Hose and was built for John Rodgers in the 1800s. He was a cutler and made cutlery for Queen Victoria. I believe it is owned by an antiques dealer who runs a business from there. I'm sure he would be happy to let anyone have a look around.

Edited by JEB1