Is everyone supporting the train drivers?

I believe that in Liverpool, where a passenger was killed because she fell down the side of the train when it was at the platform, Liverpool trains could go on strike too.

The train guard got 5 years in jail, the train drivers will not have as good a view of the doors as the train guards, they will just have CCTV cameras.

Maybe passengers should take some responsiblity for themselves rather than being 4x over the alcohol driving limit and drugged up on mephedrone.

Totally harsh sentence and too much finger pointing from the parents if you ask me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20339630

We dont stop progress just because a handful of Darwin Award nominations need protecting from themselves.

Maybe passengers should take some responsiblity for themselves rather than being 4x over the alcohol driving limit and drugged up on mephedrone.

Totally harsh sentence and too much finger pointing from the parents if you ask me.

We dont stop progress just because a handful of Darwin Award nominations need protecting from themselves.

"McGee signalled for the driver to depart as Georgia, who was drunk, stood on the platform leaning against the train."

That seems a fair sentence to me - doesnt really matter about her personal state, the guard could clearly see it would be very foolish to start a train in those circumstances.

If she'd staggared into the train after it was signalled to leave then that's a different matter but she was leaning against it - it's no different from kicking a chair from under someone it's your fault not theirs.

"McGee signalled for the driver to depart as Georgia, who was drunk, stood on the platform leaning against the train."

That seems a fair sentence to me - doesnt really matter about her personal state, the guard could clearly see it would be very foolish to start a train in those circumstances.

If she'd staggared into the train after it was signalled to leave then that's a different matter but she was leaning against it - it's no different from kicking a chair from under someone it's your fault not theirs.

Do you think a camera pointing in the passengers direction, from the drivers cab, would lead to the same conclusion?

Would the camera be pointing in the right direction, with a train full of drunks? I dont think a camera would be as clear.

Do you think a camera pointing in the passengers direction, from the drivers cab, would lead to the same conclusion?

Would the camera be pointing in the right direction, with a train full of drunks? I dont think a camera would be as clear.

Considering there would be more than one camera as well as platform staff yes it'd be as clear if not more clear. If the unions are so whiney they cannot cope with a bit of progress then they can go work somewhere else where they use steam engines and that may make them happier. It's not like the change will result in less staff being employed.

Considering there would be more than one camera as well as platform staff yes it'd be as clear if not more clear. If the unions are so whiney they cannot cope with a bit of progress then they can go work somewhere else where they use steam engines and that may make them happier. It's not like the change will result in less staff being employed.

But, two humans will usually be better than one, when dealing with other humans.

Especially if the humans being dealt with are a bit "unstable".

We are all being played in this dispute. The unions have an agenda, the Government do too. Maybe someone should remind both of them who pays the piper in this case and bang their heads together properly.

But, two humans will usually be better than one, when dealing with other humans.

Especially if the humans being dealt with are a bit "unstable".

We are all being played in this dispute. The unions have an agenda, the Government do too. Maybe someone should remind both of them who pays the piper in this case and bang their heads together properly.

Thre will still be the same number of staff members on the train though. There will be MORE people watching for safety when the train departs. I'm not sure what you are getting at?

She was 16. The person responsible for her safety on the platform had a complete disregard for her safety. Get a grip. Some of your comments there are disgusting.

Fair sentence IMO

She was 16. The person responsible for her safety on the platform had a complete disregard for her safety. Get a grip. Some of your comments there are disgusting.

Fair sentence IMO

Well then she was illegally drunk on top of her taking drugs.

Tragic accident. A young life wasted. MAY (debatable) have been prevented. The staff member said that he thought she was moving away when he was looking. Its two versions of a single tragic event. She was leaning against/she was walking away.

HOWEVER, why should this man have his life and career ruined. He clearly made a mistake and has to be penalised. However, what's with all the finger pointing and blame passing. Where was SHE taking responsibility for her own behaviour and safety. Where was the PARENTS taking responsibility for the illegal and stupid actions of their offspring. Where were he so called FRIENDS taking control and looking after their clearly incapable companion.

No mention of that when they are bleating on to the press. That's what I find disgusting.

Its always someone else's fault these days.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Of course the big problem with rail fares and costs is that we taxpayer pay an additional 6p per passenger per mile travelled over and above the ticket price, to help keep down rail fares. Or to put that simply for every passenger getting on a train in Sheffield and getting off in London we get a bill for £12. That is probably a good reason for keeping an eye on costs.