Is everyone supporting the train drivers?

Taxpayers foot £50m bill for Southern rail strike chaos as ministers prepare to tighten law.

Why are tax payers funding the above, and Southern are supported by the tax payer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/13/taxpayers-foot-50million-bill-southern-rail-strike-chaos-ministers/

The entire rail system is supported by the taxpayer and always has been. It's completely uneconomic and always has been.

That's not unusual. Most of Europe heavily subsidises rail transport.

Nothing to do with the Govt. This is purely down to the loony left wing train unions who are scared of progress. Thats all it is.

Sack the strikers and employ people who actually have some care and pride in the job and in helping the passengers.

My friend works for Northern, he thinks like that because he is a Tory too. He is currently banging his head against a wall ;)

My friend works for Northern, he thinks like that because he is a Tory too. He is currently banging his head against a wall ;)

It emerges naturally if you actually think about things rather than swooning over the words of trotskyist unions.

Every time the unions pull something like this the government looks to tighten the law further. Won't be long now before the unions are completely disestablished. Then they'll have to fight on the merits of their case. They won't last long like that.

The Department for Transport has made it clear that it wants a significant expansion of Driver Only Operation, introducing it on the Northern and Great Western franchises, and thus putting it at loggerheads with the expressed positions of Britain’s biggest rail unions.

http://www.railmagazine.com/trains/current-trains/the-pros-and-cons-of-driver-only-operation

The Department for Transport has made it clear that it wants a significant expansion of Driver Only Operation, introducing it on the Northern and Great Western franchises, and thus putting it at loggerheads with the expressed positions of Britain’s biggest rail unions.

http://www.railmagazine.com/trains/current-trains/the-pros-and-cons-of-driver-only-operation

And. The government are in charge. That's what we pay them for.

The train drivers on the other hand are employed to drive trains. If they want more money to account for a change in their jobs, we can discuss it. If they don't want to do the job any more they can quit.

The democratically elected government runs this country, not the unions.

And. The government are in charge. That's what we pay them for.

The train drivers on the other hand are employed to drive trains. If they want more money to account for a change in their jobs, we can discuss it. If they don't want to do the job any more they can quit.

The democratically elected government runs this country, not the unions.

I believe the phrase would be 'micro management'.

The Government are forcing this through, they deregulated the buses, yet a person in Westminster is controlling how a train is operated in Sheffield. Just let the train companies decide.

I believe the phrase would be 'micro management'.

The Government are forcing this through, they deregulated the buses, yet a person in Westminster is controlling how a train is operated in Sheffield. Just let the train companies decide.

That would work if we removed the subsidies, or if the track and infrastructure weren't under the control of the state. But then the entire rail system would collapse, as it deserves to.

I drive a minibus, with 2 members of staff looking after 6-11 passengers; should I email Chris Grayling to check that that is ok?

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 12:43 ----------

Ah the old "Im not with the lefty so I must be a Tory" insult.

Try harder.

Why would you class that as an insult, very strange.