Is everyone supporting the train drivers?

Yes. Please do. That sounds very wasteful. Why do you need a staff ratio of 1:5?

Some children in SEN schools are classed as 1-1, I have even know some children to be required 2 staff members.

On a bus the requirements are less so.

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 12:49 ----------

They went on strike in the 1960s when diesel replaced steam and there wasn't really a need to have a man with a shovel in the cab.

They sometimes need a PCSO thee days, in the carriages ;)

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 12:51 ----------

I hope you have taken my point now, but perhaps you are still of the same mind ;)

Some children in SEN schools are classed as 1-1, I have even know some children to be required 2 staff members.

On a bus the requirements are less so.

There you go. Case made. I expect that Chris Grayling or at last his department has already approved the extra staff on these grounds. Otherwise you'd have a job getting them.

There you go. Case made. I expect that Chris Grayling or at last his department has already approved the extra staff on these grounds. Otherwise you'd have a job getting them.

I did witness it myself, but a thin young lad(13) was hitting teaching staff yesterday; some staff are uni-educated thin young women; the right staff in regard to qualifications, but not in other ways.

I did witness it myself, but a thin young lad(13) was hitting teaching staff yesterday; some staff are uni-educated thin young women; the right staff in regard to qualifications, but not in other ways.

Well that's interesting if rather off topic.

I would add that I commend you for undertaking such socially valuable work.

I believe the phrase would be 'micro management'.

The Government are forcing this through, they deregulated the buses, yet a person in Westminster is controlling how a train is operated in Sheffield. Just let the train companies decide.

So are all the train companies doing the same thing? The unions aren't striking everywhere that's for sure.

They went on strike in the 1960s when diesel replaced steam and there wasn't really a need to have a man with a shovel in the cab.

That's funny, but hardly surprising. I expect they claimed it was unsafe then as well.

Might be time to look at getting the number of staff on the train down to zero. The technology exists. Expensive at first, but at least there's nobody to go on strike then.

So are all the train companies doing the same thing? The unions aren't striking everywhere that's for sure.

Rural trains are very different to trains in built up areas, some may suit driver operated doors some not. The Government are trying to get the same rules, countrywide, not sure why its just Southern striking.

They are doing the Governments bidding, testing the water?

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 13:45 ----------

Well that's interesting if rather off topic.

I would add that I commend you for undertaking such socially valuable work.

Violence on my bus is rare, but very common in school.

That's funny, but hardly surprising. I expect they claimed it was unsafe then as well.

Might be time to look at getting the number of staff on the train down to zero. The technology exists. Expensive at first, but at least there's nobody to go on strike then.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then everything that can be automated should be automated. It won't make anything cheaper it just means that more of our money goes to the companies owning these things that are automated.

There will be fewer people working therefore fewer people paying tax which means that the tax burden on the remaining workforce increases.

Or, we employ more people, pay lower dividends to shareholders, take in more tax and reduce the tax burden on the workforce.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then everything that can be automated should be automated. It won't make anything cheaper it just means that more of our money goes to the companies owning these things that are automated.

There will be fewer people working therefore fewer people paying tax which means that the tax burden on the remaining workforce increases.

Or, we employ more people, pay lower dividends to shareholders, take in more tax and reduce the tax burden on the workforce.

That's not how it works at all.

If it was, given the amount of automation which has already been implemented, we'd have about 5% employment.