Is everyone supporting the train drivers?

RMT is out as well,whether you vote or not agree or not you're on strike.

There may be drivers and guards who don't want to strike, i'm unsure about the unions and who is a member so you may be correct.

Also, what you describe applies to the country as a whole. Like most people I didn't vote Tory but I still have to endure their policies, so it's wrong to complain when something similar happens in a union when the turnout and majority are much better.

If a nationalised rail service was run this badly Tories would be demanding it be privatised immediately but because it's already privatised there's no comment from the market fanatics, just the usual union-bashing.

Probably the most sensible post on this topic yet.

I would suggest that workers acting together is just one aspect of market forces but your heads would probably explode.

I stand corrected :hihi:

Also, what you describe applies to the country as a whole. Like most people I didn't vote Tory but I still have to endure their policies, so it's wrong to complain when something similar happens in a union when the turnout and majority are much better.

I'm sure on that point then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree with The Joker,the service is a shambles and it should be given to another franchise.

One that has the policy change already in place - then lets see how many Union members decide to make themselves unemployed.

RMT is out as well,whether you vote or not agree or not you're on strike.

There may be drivers and guards who don't want to strike, i'm unsure about the unions and who is a member so you may be correct.

Last week a work to rule was causing cancelled trains, nothing wrong with doing only your contracted hours.

The train drivers went on strike for 48 hours and everything came to a standstill.

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 10:11 ----------

Just a thought, people that support the right of workers to strike, are usually left or centre in their politics.

It seems MPs like Anna Soubry would prefer us all to be consumers and massively inconvenienced; we are all workers with the right to strike.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then everything that can be automated should be automated. It won't make anything cheaper it just means that more of our money goes to the companies owning these things that are automated.

There will be fewer people working therefore fewer people paying tax which means that the tax burden on the remaining workforce increases.

Or, we employ more people, pay lower dividends to shareholders, take in more tax and reduce the tax burden on the workforce.

Some would call this progress.

Angel1

Last week a work to rule was causing cancelled trains, nothing wrong with doing only your contracted hours.

The train drivers went on strike for 48 hours and everything came to a standstill.

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 10:11 ----------

Just a thought, people that support the right of workers to strike, are usually left or centre in their politics.

It seems MPs like Anna Soubry would prefer us all to be consumers and massively inconvenienced; we are all workers with the right to strike.

Perfectly acceptable - but when they have extra hours available i'd be offering them to everyone who didn't work to rule. Or employing new staff.

Its amazing how they all want strike action and work to rule and then grab every available overtime hour they can. I assume the working conditions must be acceptable for time and a half.

Perfectly acceptable - but when they have extra hours available i'd be offering them to everyone who didn't work to rule. Or employing new staff.

Its amazing how they all want strike action and work to rule and then grab every available overtime hour they can. I assume the working conditions must be acceptable for time and a half.

This is the nature of the legal framework for unions. Replacing striking staff is illegal. The strike action is protected under law.

Now if we were to disestablish the unions the. They'd be free to strike as they saw fit but their employers would be free to sack them.

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 11:49 ----------

The workers that maintain them can.

No immediate effect.

This is the nature of the legal framework for unions. Replacing striking staff is illegal. The strike action is protected under law.

Now if we were to disestablish the unions the. They'd be free to strike as they saw fit but their employers would be free to sack them.

Most train operators keep to the timetable better than buses, so they are working well.