Camelot Fined for £2.5m Suspect Ticket Win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38337470

"The Gambling Commission has fined National Lottery operator Camelot £3m for poor controls which led to a "deliberately damaged ticket" winning."

I'm intrigued to know what a "deliberately damaged ticket" is. :huh:

A ticket, which has been altered in some way, to create the impression, it is a winning ticket.

I am surprised, someone appears to have got away with stealing such a large sum of money.

A ticket, which has been altered in some way, to create the impression, it is a winning ticket.

I am surprised, someone appears to have got away with stealing such a large sum of money.

This person, according to the Daily Mail..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4041982/The-convicted-rapist-paid-2-5million-National-Lottery-submitting-deliberately-damaged-ticket-gets-Lotto.html

It is claimed that systems have been changed to prevent recurrence.

It would appear that a Camelot employee has had access to information that helped the fraudster make his claim.

I would guess that the fraud was along the lines of:

Insider provides the selling point and time of sale.

Additional info regarding lines purchased and numbers on losing lines may have been needed.

Fraudster buys a ticket with matching lines etc as close to the time as possible.

This leaves a minimum of parts of the ticket that need 'damaging'.

I'm guessing part of date, part of time, part of barcode might have been enough.

Still leaving enough of the ticket that matched the winner?