Statins and alcohol.

It seems I am soon to be prescribed statins to bring my cholesterol levels down. I've read that 'going out for a few pints' is not a good idea once the drug is in your system. Would appreciate comments/advice from anyone who has experience of this situation.

It seems I am soon to be prescribed statins to bring my cholesterol levels down. I've read that 'going out for a few pints' is not a good idea once the drug is in your system. Would appreciate comments/advice from anyone who has experience of this situation.

My other half has been on statins for years. Drinks like a fish a couple or three times a week. Never done any harm. Cholesterol at the lowest level in years. But the doctor / nurse would advise otherwise.

Perhaps that is bad for you, statins or not?

Think you possibly hit nail firmly on head there. Nanny state mentality and all. Even my sodding dentist asked me how much I drank the other day. I did have to wonder why...

When your dentist checks your teeth, they also check the inside of your mouth for signs of mouth cancer and alcohol can be a cause of oral cancer.

When your dentist checks your teeth, they also check the inside of your mouth for signs of mouth cancer and alcohol can be a cause of oral cancer.

Well I'm presuming there was no sign as nothing was mentioned. I didn't even need the whole scale and polish thing. He seemed quite happy...

And if alcohol is such a contributor to mouth cancer, one wonders why most commercially marketed beneficial mouthwashes are based on it? You'd have thought someone would have put a stop to that wouldn't you?

And if alcohol is such a contributor to mouth cancer, one wonders why most commercially marketed beneficial mouthwashes are based on it? You'd have thought someone would have put a stop to that wouldn't you?

I've not seen an alcohol based one for a long time myself. Mine here has been shouting alcohol free for years. I presume though that's to stop the problem drinkers shoplifting them....

I've not seen an alcohol based one for a long time myself. Mine here has been shouting alcohol free for years. I presume though that's to stop the problem drinkers shoplifting them....

They are still widely available. But coincidentally I have just seen this story...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/dozens-die-siberia-bath-tincture-194459317.html

So guess if people really want to drink cheap alcohol, they are going to find ways to do it.