The five arches

EdmundH

Great pictures!

Just out of interest, the metal looking 'shields' later added, (I assume for extra strength), what are they? Do they go right through the structure or what? They're very strategically placed in certain sections. I wondered how they work, and was there a flaw in older bricked archways?

...Do they go right through the structure or what?..
There are thick iron/steel bars that go right through the structure, with a "tie plate" or "pattress plate" screwed on to each end. It's done for extra safety when the stonework might not be strong enough for the load - see here for some modern types.

There are thick iron/steel bars that go right through the structure, with a "tie plate" or "pattress plate" screwed on to each end. It's done for extra safety when the stonework might not be strong enough for the load - see here for some modern types.

interesting, what a selection.

hillsbro never fails! That is interesting :) I've seen them on structures before but never really thought about it until looking at the comparison picture.

What kind of drill bits go through the whole thing?! :shocked::hihi: