The five arches

EdmundH

Merry Christmas Hillsbro,good picture from the 1800s,at the bottom left hand corner out of sight was the start of the goit feeding the millpond behind our cottage!.It emptied back into the River Don by two separate goits nearby the footbridge and weir opposite the power station,it was all demolished and filled in around 1926 so I never saw it as that was 20 years before I was born!.It can be seen on Picture Sheffield from the air forum!.

I spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon exposing the remains of the white bridge. There are some photos in a (new) thread on the Wardsend Cemetery Facebook page...
It's very interesting to see the photos!
There's an old photo of the five arches currently on sale on eBay
Thanks for the tip, WarPig - I downloaded the image: here it is after "Photoshopping". Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for that Hugh W i spent my younger years playing in that cemetery and always went across the white bridge from where i lived on Shirecliffe in the 40s-50s,at side of the two trees just to the left as you approached them was a mass grave the last time i was there it was covered with soil which had been tipped everywhere.At the other side of the bridge was the Zig Zag railings down to Club Mill Rd i couldnt believe that they had pulled this bridge down.In the 60s we used to ride our Trials motorbikes across it and on to the muckhills which was the spoils from the power station and were made by a cable and bucket system.I understand that at one time there was a tunnel under the railway line before the bridge was built but was filled in when a woman was attacked and murdered in it,i think the stream which is now piped ran through it.

I spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon exposing the remains of the white bridge. There are some photos in a (new) thread on the Wardsend Cemetery Facebook page...

The White Bridge

Looking at your picture HughW gives me the shivers whatever possessed me to cross over balancing atop the arch I,ll never know!.We never saw danger as kids in those days,some of the things we got up to I better not repeat!.Its a wonder I,m alive today when I recollect what my schoolpals and I at Hillfoot got up to in the area,no wonder my old man was always on my case!:shocked::nono:.

... In fact if it's fine next week we'll have a walk down to the Five Arches...
It was such a nice day today that Mrs H. and I enjoyed a short walk down the hill to Wardsend. Here is a photo of the upper side of the Five Arches and one taken from just below. Here are two of the tie plates, and a close-up of the threaded end of one of the tie bars.

If it keeps fine we might go to Wardsend Cemetery tomorrow.