The five arches

EdmundH

It was such a nice day today that Mrs H. and I enjoyed a short walk down the hill to Wardsend. Here is a photo of the upper side of the Five Arches and one taken from just below. Here are two of the tie plates, and a close-up of the threaded end of one of the tie bars.

If it keeps fine we might go to Wardsend Cemetery tomorrow.

Hi hillsbro,

Nice to see almost live views of the wonderful structure from my home 100 plus miles away. Including live graffiti :hihi:. I have driven under there many times over the years.

Trust you both had a good expedition and enjoy tomorrow, weather permitting!

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

It was such a nice day today that Mrs H. and I enjoyed a short walk down the hill to Wardsend. Here is a photo of the upper side of the Five Arches and one taken from just below. Here are two of the tie plates, and a close-up of the threaded end of one of the tie bars.

If it keeps fine we might go to Wardsend Cemetery tomorrow.

what time are you thinking of going tomorrow hillsboro, might join you.

what time are you thinking of going tomorrow hillsboro, might join you.
Can't say for sure as our plumber is coming this morning, but we hope to get to Wardsend Bridge by about 11-30 or soon afterwards. Edited by hillsbro

Can't day for sure as our plumber is coming this morning, but we hope to get to Wardsend Bridge by about 11-30 or soon afterwards.

:huh: sorry i missed you hillsboro..i approached wardsend rd from wadsley br. end, just led into some allotments.. i then drove round the corner onto penistone rd end..walked up wardsend rd to a bridge over the railway,,i assumed this was wardsend br. think i got my wires crossed.

never mind i was looking forward to meeting you and marion. some other time maybe..happy new year to you both.

Sorry we missed you Padders - we hope to see you again when we are next in Sheffield. Wardsend Bridge is a bit further south, at the end of Livesey Street where it crosses the river and becomes Club Mill Road. We got there at about 11-30 and had a short walk through the adjacent cemetery. Here is a photo of the (new) Wardsend Bridge - some nice stonework at either end but nothing like the old bridge that was sadly swept away in the June 2007 flood, and with the usual (for this area) evidence of fly-tipping.

By an odd chance I happened to see a grave with the name "Susanna Whittles" and that of her husband Harry. He was the elder brother of my great-grandfather Arthur Whittles, which I guess makes him my great-great-uncle. I knew that, as an invalid, Susanna sadly died in a fire at their home in Freedom Street in 1934 but I didn't know where they were buried, so this fills in a blank area in my family tree! Here is a view looking over the "Black Bridge".

Happy New Year to Padders and all Forummers!

Edited by hillsbro

• 2 months later...

Here is a link to a "still" from the film "My Farewell to the Sheffield Manchester Electrics" showing the White Bridge, with the Black Bridge in the distance. The film may be found here: http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/my-farewell-sheffield-manchester-electrics-congreves. Thanks to forummer andrejuan for the link to the film!

Edited by hillsbro