Ignoring Health and Safety, the consequences.

Oh I agree with you, most are invented by companies (or councils) to save them money or work. Classic example: "you (as a customer) can`t use our staff toilet because of Health & Safety". But also this other classic one, "Pendolino trains have small windows because it makes them safer". I`m pretty sure there is no H&S ruling about the size of windows on trains, but the whole culture of the world is that way inclined now, and we all suffer for it. More than half the passengers on a Pendolino train don`t have an unobstructed view out of the window....

Smaller windows increase the roll-over strength of the carriage. The recommendations were in the Derailment at Grayrigg report.

Edited by SnailyBoy

Oh I agree with you, most are invented by companies (or councils) to save them money or work. Classic example: "you (as a customer) can`t use our staff toilet because of Health & Safety". But also this other classic one, "Pendolino trains have small windows because it makes them safer". I`m pretty sure there is no H&S ruling about the size of windows on trains, but the whole culture of the world is that way inclined now, and we all suffer for it. More than half the passengers on a Pendolino train don`t have an unobstructed view out of the window....

How many people died on the Pendolino train crash in Grayrigg?

The RIAB specifically commended the crashworthiness of the smaller windowed carriages - para 35 and 38... https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c9037ed915d4c0d000199/R202008_081023_Grayrigg_v5.pdf

How many people died on the Pendolino train crash in Grayrigg?

The RIAB specifically commended the crashworthiness of the smaller windowed carriages - para 35 and 38... https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c9037ed915d4c0d000199/R202008_081023_Grayrigg_v5.pdf

Network Rail were subsequently prosecuted under Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

And yet all sorts of engineering and construction projects get completed on time, on budget, without serious incident, because somebody is stopping people doing stupid things. The most stupid thing is they are doing those stupid things not to any real benefit to themselves.

Perhaps we should just crack on, and if it costs a person's life to save a few quid or a few minutes, it's a price worth paying.

Are we seriously comparing a window cleaner up a ladder, with a bloke walking around on scaffold tubes at height?

Whats the difference, who put the scaffolding there? probably some bloke walking around on scaffolding.

It annoys me when people refer to H & S reasons for not doing something when in fact it's the insurance companies that cause it.

We used to have cadets helping at our carnival but one year the adult in charge told us they wouldn't be helping due to Health & Safety. When I pressed him to explain, it turned out that their insurance company insisted that each cadet's parent had to sign a form allowing the child to take part. Many parents refused or couldn't be bothered but as to it being down to H & S that was absolute nonsense.

First time I ever heard of steel beams being hammered into place. Steel beams are lifted by crane and guided into place with the help of someone in a position to be able to see the exact positioning, then secured. Not a hammer in sight. No force needed just precision. The mail obviously had their experts on hand, again.

I wonder if the office worker thought about how they would feel if someone was taking a photo of them without permission while they were concentrating on their job. A Scaffolder would have taken a risk at every level of the scaffold to get battings and kick boards in place. Maneuvering means the Scaffolder would have to unclip safety ties at various points in the job. How safe you are at any time depends on your and others level of experience and the decisions you make, whatever that job is.

First time I ever heard of steel beams being hammered into place. Steel beams are lifted by crane and guided into place with the help of someone in a position to be able to see the exact positioning, then secured. Not a hammer in sight. No force needed just precision. The mail obviously had their experts on hand, again.

I wonder if the office worker thought about how they would feel if someone was taking a photo of them without permission while they were concentrating on their job. A Scaffolder would have taken a risk at every level of the scaffold to get battings and kick boards in place. Maneuvering means the Scaffolder would have to unclip safety ties at various points in the job. How safe you are at any time depends on your and others level of experience and the decisions you make, whatever that job is.

I'm not sure how the privacy of the scaffolder comes into this, however, the photographer didn't need his permission.

Health and safety has gone way to far. you now see council workers using a scaffold tower to do a job only 6ft off the ground when a ladder would suffice , You see SKY Tv installers wearing more climbing gear than you would use to climb mount everest to install a dish 6ft off the ground.

Its pathetic , a complete joke.

Agreed

The archaeological digs on the TV where the diggers are in the middle of a field scraping in a shallow hole wearing hard hats.

What for gods sake is going to fall from the sky???

have you ever seen anyone steel erecting? i have, and have seen plenty of podgers hammered into place, holes drlled slightly out, columbs out of plumb that required the delicate touch of a bloody big hammer.

Yes I have. Plenty of steel framed building goes on and lots to observe.

Edited by Margarita Ma

Name 10 "H&S stuff" that is totally out of proportion.

I'd wager half are myths.

I think you're right TFH. H&S Executive laugh at some of the bizarre stuff they seem to get the blame for when I reality it's local authority's adding their own layers of 'lets tread carefully' nonsense.