Can I apply as honorary Sheffielder?

Not really a baptism more of an ancient ritual in three parts. The order is of your own choosing.

1. Henderson's must be sprinkled liberally over Meat and Potato Pie at each and every ceremony of consumption.

2. Henderson's is the requisite condiment to be used with a bag of chips consumed without any kind of fish or fishcake. Those devotees of batter scraps may be excused.

3. Henderson's is the one and only allowable substance to be sprinkled over a packet of plain or salted crisps within the city boundary.

As a Forriner(sic) born you will be required to purchase a round tuit from the Sheffield Shop and study the text repeating the phrase at least weekly on a Saturday or Sunday.

Good luck.

Nice :) I shall read the inscription on a ritual walk between Park Hill and the old Castle Market site whereupon I will chant "Nah then" 3 times and lament change.

---------- Post added 22-12-2016 at 20:08 ----------

That's not a pure Sheffieldism. I bought one in 'ull. Cost farve narty narn.

Did you ger for some chips from Carvers and a cerk with ars in it after?

I've only been here four months, but have already turned down two huge job opportunities in London to stay here. I love the place.

OK, let's not kid ourselves. The city centre is a disaster, and the sooner the authorities build the new Retail Quarter the better, but I particularly love the inner suburbs surrounding the city. I live in Nether Edge and really enjoy its mixed vibe.

I ain't leaving anytime soon.

Same thing here, I lived here almost a year now and I wouldn't move in any other city just because of that "slow no rush" feeling in the town and relaxing environment here in Nether Edge/Brincliffe.

I've now lived here longer than anywhere else, can I apply for citizenship or will I always be an incomer? :)

I think Sheffield is great and can't see myself ever leaving. I love that the people are so friendly, that they have strong opinions but are happy to agree to disagree when it comes down to it, that people still want to help each other out and want to get to know new people. I also like that people are not very egocentric and are quite modest, while still having a quiet, unshakeable belief that Sheffield and Sheffielders are better than anywhere else for miles around :) Which it is in my humble opinion.

I always take pleasure reading your posts Bob, you seem like a decent human being and that for me will always take priority over your Sheffieldness, I will happily adopt you as a Sheffielder and will raise a glass to you later on ;)

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 18:39 ----------

I've only been here four months, but have already turned down two huge job opportunities in London to stay here. I love the place.

OK, let's not kid ourselves. The city centre is a disaster, and the sooner the authorities build the new Retail Quarter the better, but I particularly love the inner suburbs surrounding the city. I live in Nether Edge and really enjoy its mixed vibe.

It is a cracking city bendix :)

I always take pleasure reading your posts Bob, you seem like a decent human being and that for me will always take priority over your Sheffieldness, I will happily adopt you as a Sheffielder and will raise a glass to you later on ;)

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 18:39 ----------

It is a cracking city bendix :)

Ah, thanks Mickey, much appreciated fella. I think Sheffield is full of good people, and they make the city. Merry Christmas to you all!

Ok. So tell us where the disaster is and we will get the emergency services to deal with it.

For myself I do believe that short of a real disaster flattening the whole of a City or Town we should preserve the Heritage Buildings, they are what makes a place unique and interesting. At the same time we also need to Modernise and progress. One place that has been a success at both these things is the Railway Station area. Some of the more modern buildings that we have had in Sheffield have had a very short shelf life, the designs were of the ticky-tacky type and were impractical for the terrain and weather conditions. We do need buildings for the new era and new technology they need to be practical inside and out, as well as beautiful to behold, that means putting a decent roof on a building so that in fifty or even perhaps a hundred years time they can be standing up and not adding to the problem of city centre decay and demolition sites.

Flanker 7, that's a dilemna, the owls or the blades. I started off as an owls supporter, but as time went on (last 50 years) I realized that neither club were destined for great things in the footballing world, compared to Manchester, Merseyside and London. However Sheffield and surrounds are still big on the athletics track !

So I support anything in sport that has the Sheffield name on it (Rotherham is ok too)

But when it comes to a local derby, I resort to my leaning as an 8 year old !

Looks like the Blades might move up this season. If Wednesday don't get promoted, still a question mark, you will then have two opportunities next season to help you with a decision. But you could have trouble getting a ticket !

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 16:16 ----------

Margarita Ma, you have hit the nail on the head, my pet peeve. Why has the design architecture been so poor for Sheffield buildings ? Parkhill flats, Hole in the road, Fish market etc did n't last two generations. Not acceptable for the 4th largest city in England.

Is it the designers, the builders the architects ? Was there ever an official/Council inquiry as to why the city does not get the best in infrastructure/buildings ? What is the solution ? Keep the Council out of the way ?

All you have to do is answer a few simple questions and Bob's yer Auntie.

Here goes:

If you are successful with this application, which name do you wish to be known by? (choose only one)

'Nah Then Thee', 'Oi.... thee', 'Luv', 'Squire', 'Ey up', 'Pal', 'Mucker', 'Lass',or 'Dearie'.

Citizenship Questions:

1. Which weighs more, a five pound note or a pint of Wards?

2. Where is Sheffield Steel made?

3. What colour are the red stripes on United's shirts?

4. How do you spell HENDERSON'S?

5. The River Don flows 'up hill' or 'down hill'? (choose only one)

That is it. If you got all 5 right you're in. Welcome to Sheffield.

I've been here since sunny 1976, fell in love with the friendliness of the people the day I arrived. The sububs are brilliant, the hills add something extra special, and it has some stunning parks (that's a topic for another thread!). Culturally, the music scene has always been brilliant. And nowadays it has some of the best beers you'll find anywhere.

You'll see a lot of anti-Sheffield threads on the Forum, but that only shows most Sheffielders aren't an arrogant lot! The cityrcentre isn't the best, but as others have said, that only really matters if shopping is really really important to you. And in ten years time big city centres will seem passe as online dominates retail.

Say you're a Sheffielder by choice, not by birth. :)

All you have to do is answer a few simple questions and Bob's yer Auntie.

Here goes:

If you are successful with this application, which name do you wish to be known by? (choose only one)

'Nah Then Thee', 'Oi.... thee', 'Luv', 'Squire', 'Ey up', 'Pal', 'Mucker', 'Lass',or 'Dearie'.

Citizenship Questions:

1. Which weighs more, a five pound note or a pint of Wards?

2. Where is Sheffield Steel made?

3. What colour are the red stripes on United's shirts?

4. How do you spell HENDERSON'S?

5. The River Don flows 'up hill' or 'down hill'? (choose only one)

That is it. If you got all 5 right you're in. Welcome to Sheffield.

Haha :) I got them all right although I had to think about number 5, I could swear that when the wind is whipping up Nursery Street and pinning people to the railings on Lady's Bridge, I've seen the Don flowing backwards

Flanker 7, that's a dilemna, the owls or the blades. I started off as an owls supporter, but as time went on (last 50 years) I realized that neither club were destined for great things in the footballing world, compared to Manchester, Merseyside and London. However Sheffield and surrounds are still big on the athletics track !

So I support anything in sport that has the Sheffield name on it (Rotherham is ok too)

But when it comes to a local derby, I resort to my leaning as an 8 year old !

Looks like the Blades might move up this season. If Wednesday don't get promoted, still a question mark, you will then have two opportunities next season to help you with a decision. But you could have trouble getting a ticket !

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 16:16 ----------

Margarita Ma, you have hit the nail on the head, my pet peeve. Why has the design architecture been so poor for Sheffield buildings ? Parkhill flats, Hole in the road, Fish market etc did n't last two generations. Not acceptable for the 4th largest city in England.

Is it the designers, the builders the architects ? Was there ever an official/Council inquiry as to why the city does not get the best in infrastructure/buildings ? What is the solution ? Keep the Council out of the way ?

Sheffield was not the only city to make mistakes in architecture in the post war period the 60's and seventies. The rabbit hutch houses were the biggest mistakes

Park hill flats replaced rat infested back to backs (I was at school when they were demolished and my mother told me the rats came up Stafford Road and Glencoe Road in a swarm that reached across the whole road) and the flats were a model for their time. Unfortunately double glazing was hardly heard of and the picture windows were heat wasters. Park hill was an entire community support system in action. The main problem in these flats was the lack of maintenance especially of the heating system, and the idiots who thought throwing things off balconies was fun. The nursery and school were first class. But when the Tories destroyed the economy and sold us all down the river places like this were doomed. Not enough work means no rent money to maintain a building of any kind. Plus idiots on the council who thought it was ok. to spend money on student games instead of maintenance programs.