Is it time Britain had a referendum on the Monarchy

Keep the Monarchy  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the Monarchy

• NO
    • Yes

Almost on a intelligence level with religion that one particular family is born better than anyone else. Anyone who subscribes to this must must be hugely underwhelmed with their own stature in life.

Tourism argument has been disproven so many times but the sycophants still bang on about it.

And before anyone asks i put my money where my mouth is and support Republic.

ps disagree with the comment about Philip, want them out of their fantasy lives, but don't wish them harm, BUT i can understand why someone of a strong view would advocate this.

You are free to support exactly what you please. Go right ahead. I shall make no comment on your views: not my place. And equally, I'm free to have my opinion too which I'd be grateful for being able to express, without you deciding that there's an issue with my 'stature' in life'. Just for the record ..... there isn't!!!

Happy bloody Christmas!

S x

Almost on a intelligence level with religion that one particular family is born better than anyone else. Anyone who subscribes to this must must be hugely underwhelmed with their own stature in life.

Tourism argument has been disproven so many times but the sycophants still bang on about it.

ps disagree with the comment about Philip, want them out of their fantasy lives, but don't wish them harm, BUT i can understand why someone of a strong view would advocate this.

You have your views and others have theirs but it is time to realise that you are on the losing side.

I find some of the bitterness shown by anti monarchists is extreme and very unloyal.

Still a person's anger and bitterness only harms themselves usually by eating them up inside.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

Whose national identity? They are all Germans. And the line before them were Norman French from the Norman invasion.

They cost far too much, especially in these times of tory austerity. Only folk who want to keep their royal family are southerners , toffs, and right wingers.

Oh the standard 'they're all Germans' rubbish again.

Queen Elizabeth II was born in London, UK. Prince Philip was born in Corfu, Greece.

The Queen Mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, was born in London, UK. The Queen's father, George VI was born in Norfolk, UK.

The Queen's paternal grandfather, George V, was born in London, UK. The Queen's paternal grandmother, Mary of Teck, was born in London, UK.

The Queen's maternal grandfather, Claude George Bowes-Lyon, was born in London, UK. The Queen's maternal grandmother, Cecilia Nina Bowes-Lyon, was born in London, UK.

The Queen's paternal great grandfather, Edward VII, was born in London, UK. The Queen's paternal great grandmother, Alexandra of Denmark, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Queen's maternal great grandfather, Claude George Bowes-Lyon, was born in Redbourne, UK. The Queen's maternal great grandmother, Frances Dora Bowes-Lyon, was born in London.

The Queen's paternal great great grandmother, Queen Victoria, was born in London, UK. The Queen's paternal great great grandfather, Prince Albert, was born in Germany.

So yeah, they're totally German../s

Is it only the Royal family for whom you would say their nationality is whatever their great great grandfathers was, or do you use that logic for everybody you meet?

You second argument, that if you go back 1,000 years they are Norman french, is even more ludicrous. For a start the current Royal family aren't even directly related to royalty that far back..

You have your views and others have theirs but it is time to realise that you are on the losing side.

I find some of the bitterness shown by anti monarchists is extreme and very unloyal.

Still a person's anger and bitterness only harms themselves usually by eating them up inside.

Losing side now but things can change.

"unloyal" How can i be "unloyal" to someone w have never pretended to support and actively dis-agree with?

Nothing to do with bitterness, just an inbuilt dislike of selfishness and greed.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 10:46 ----------

You are free to support exactly what you please. Go right ahead. I shall make no comment on your views: not my place. And equally, I'm free to have my opinion too which I'd be grateful for being able to express, without you deciding that there's an issue with my 'stature' in life'. Just for the record ..... there isn't!!!

Happy bloody Christmas!

S x

Genuinely Happy Christmas to you to. If you support royalty of your own mind and have not been subject to the brainwashing in schools and possibly your parents, then good luck to you.

However I do still question your self assurance if you think someone is automatically born "greater" than yourself. No offence meant btw.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

I think this is the problem, presumption.

I was not brainwashed into respecting the monarchy, I chose to because I think it enriches our country and helps identify us.

It is a rallying point regardless of political persuasion.

It is an institution that I wish to keep. Individuals personify the institution and because of that I consider they should be respected.

Their are those, as in any family, that are less popular but that is life.

Losing side now but things can change.

"unloyal" How can i be "unloyal" to someone w have never pretended to support and actively dis-agree with?

Nothing to do with bitterness, just an inbuilt dislike of selfishness and greed.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 10:46 ----------

Genuinely Happy Christmas to you to. If you support royalty of your own mind and have not been subject to the brainwashing in schools and possibly your parents, then good luck to you.

However I do still question your self assurance if you think someone is automatically born "greater" than yourself. No offence meant btw.

If you knew me, then you'd absolutely KNOW that I've been brainwashed by nobody. My self-assurance is legendary. I love me. I love everyone else too. I don't think that anyone was born 'greater', than I was. I actually think that the Queen got a raw deal: she's had no choices, no freedom—merely an obligation to serve, which she's done with great style and dignity.

No offence taken at all.

I wish you and your family a really happy Christmas, filled with much love and peace.

S xxx

I think this is the problem, presumption.

I was not brainwashed into respecting the monarchy, I chose to because I think it enriches our country and helps identify us.

It is a rallying point regardless of political persuasion.

It is an institution that I wish to keep. Individuals personify the institution and because of that I consider they should be respected.

Their are those, as in any family, that are less popular but that is life.

Genuinely well done. You made an argument for retaining the monarchy without mentioning tourism, doesn't happen to often.

Unfortunately it is some of these very individuals, who, born into it have proceeded to highlight its inbuilt failings.

Don't think it is fair to say I was presumptious, brainwashing of our kids is a regular event in schools and persists despite my opposition to it for my own kids.

You realise I can never agree with you, but as you have made a conscious choice I respect your opinion.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 11:21 ----------

If you knew me, then you'd absolutely KNOW that I've been brainwashed by nobody. My self-assurance is legendary. I love me. I love everyone else too. I don't think that anyone was born 'greater', than I was. I actually think that the Queen got a raw deal: she's had no choices, no freedom—merely an obligation to serve, which she's done with great style and dignity.

No offence taken at all.

I wish you and your family a really happy Christmas, filled with much love and peace.

S xxx

Not quite true though is it? The choice to walk away is there, but why would she? Power and riches or not? mmmmm

As it happens I don't have a problem with Liz personally, my objection is the unchallenged and undemocratic monarchy, however i do have a problem with Andrew for example who seems to delight in enjoying all that I stand against.

My use of the term "brainwashing" was not a personal attack on you, but when you see the flag wavers stood out in all weathers you have to question their sanity.

Genuinely well done. You made an argument for retaining the monarchy without mentioning tourism, doesn't happen to often.

Unfortunately it is some of these very individuals, who, born into it have proceeded to highlight its inbuilt failings.

Don't think it is fair to say I was presumptious, brainwashing of our kids is a regular event in schools and persists despite my opposition to it for my own kids.

You realise I can never agree with you, but as you have made a conscious choice I respect your opinion.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 11:21 ----------

Not quite true though is it? The choice to walk away is there, but why would she? Power and riches or not? mmmmm

As it happens I don't have a problem with Liz personally, my objection is the unchallenged and undemocratic monarchy, however i do have a problem with Andrew for example who seems to delight in enjoying all that I stand against.

My use of the term "brainwashing" was not a personal attack on you, but when you see the flag wavers stood out in all weathers you have to question their sanity.

You'd have to question mine sometimes .... standing on the terraces in all weathers, hoping that the silly <removed> can pick out another blue shirt :o

Don't worry, I didn't take it personally cos I know it wasn't intended that way :)

S xx

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Thank you for an interesting discussion and exchange of views.