Shops and disabled people

I sense a hint of sarcasn...by a mode of transport suitable to their needs obviously

No sarcasm at all. So the disabled person isn't in a wheel chair (as stated in the op), has walked to the shop, either from the car or elsewhere but can't manage long aisles.

This just seems luck a very, very, narrow range of peoplease with this level of mobility. There can't be that many people that fall into this category.

Some people are in alot of pain when walking so these long aisles make it difficult for such people to shop.

You appear to have an ignorant view that the shop designers have. If one is disabled then they must be in a wheel chair. You sound fortunate enough not to have mobility problems

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 09:06 ----------

Some people are in alot of pain when walking so these long aisles make it difficult for such people to shop.

You appear to have an ignorant view that the shop designers have. If one is disabled then they must be in a wheel chair. You sound fortunate enough not to have mobility problems

Sometimes I have to use a chair/scooter but I will never 'give in'. :(

You do make very valid points though. I'd like to see more seats around stores.

It's not just in the stores. I can't believe there aren't any seats at tram stops, for instance. We should be making it easier for frailer people to get out of the house. A lot of people are ok walking for short distances, but need to take rests.

If you think you'll be ok getting to the bus or tram stop, but worry you'll have to stand and wait for potentially a long while, you're likely to not bother. Then you don't get any exercise at all. You get less able and less independant. It's a downward spiral.

And you seem to have the same ignorant view that most complaners have, "if someone challenges my viewpoint, they are ignorant". Nasty, bigoted behaviour.

My point, for you again, is that there can't be many people that are a) Not wheelchair bound, b) mobile enough to walk around a short aisle and c) not mobile enough to walk down a long aisle. We are talking about a sweet spot that not many people will hit.

Do you think it is good business sense to design shopping experiences round the needs of this tiny percentage of the population?

Its the unfortunate problem. Empty spaces, wide aisles with gaps and freely available seating doesn't make money.

Not disagreeing, but I'll point out that if more of us avoided stores whose layout was profit orientated at the expense of genuine customer service focus, and, instead, took our money to stores whose layout is customer focused, then the customer focused stores would see their profits grow.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 13:42 ----------

It's not just in the stores. I can't believe there aren't any seats at tram stops, for instance. We should be making it easier for frailer people to get out of the house. A lot of people are ok walking for short distances, but need to take rests.

That's an excellent point- I've noticed that tram stops don't have seating. I wouldn't class myself as physically disabled, but, I do have planter fasciitis and often reflect on why the tram stops have no seating.

How much worse for anyone who does have a serious physical issue that makes standing difficult (elderly etc).

Edited by onewheeldave

Not disagreeing, but I'll point out that if more of us avoided stores whose layout was profit orientated at the expense of genuine customer service focus, and, instead, took our money to stores whose layout is customer focused, then the customer focused stores would see their profits grow.

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 13:42 ----------

That's an excellent point- I've noticed that tram stops don't have seating. I wouldn't class myself as physically disabled, but, I do have planter fasciitis and often reflect on why the tram stops have no seating.

How much worse for anyone who does have a serious physical issue that makes standing difficult (elderly etc).

Well, I've no physical complaints but sometimes I'm bloody desperate for a sit down, especially after a long day and if I'm carrying heavy bags.?

I've started writing to some of the big supermarkets asking them for a few chairs to be dotted about for elderly or disabled shoppers. I know floorspace = cash, but they really are missing a trick in the supermarket wars if they don't provide what the shopper wants.

I've started writing to some of the big supermarkets asking them for a few chairs to be dotted about for elderly or disabled shoppers. I know floorspace = cash, but they really are missing a trick in the supermarket wars if they don't provide what the shopper wants.

Very very few shoppers want them. The vast majority of customers would prefer the floor space to be used for stock so that we have a wider range of products to choose from.