More elegant solution to puzzle question

Here you go then, someone far brighter than me in the 16 century; https://math.vanderbilt.edu/schectex/courses/cubic/

Yes, there are several methods to solve cubic functions. But I assume those are not what the puzzle setter intended us to use. You'd have to be a mathematician to know that formula off by heart, or the trigonometric and hyperbolic formulae.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 02:42 ----------

Yes I agree trial and error seems a little inelegant. I would expect one is meant to just use trial and error, as solving the equation you posted is rather complicated - much beyond my limited capability.

I have put it into symbolab however, which gives a step by step of how to solve that equation, which solves it using the rational root theorem and the zero factor principle.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/step-by-step/x%5E%7B3%7D%20-%209x%20-%203240%20%3D%200

I'm afraid I get a Security Alert when I try and open your link Robin. I can only assume you are trying to infect me and my PC with eternal mathematic unknowledge ;)

I had thought factorisation of some kind might be used. But I have 1(x^3), -9(x) and -3240. Those don't share a whole bunch of common factors so I ruled that out.

Edited by Diezel

Nothing wrong with trial and error for problems like this.

Slightly easier if you start with 3x, 3(x+1) and 3(x-1)

Then you get 27(x-1)(x)(x+1) = 3240

Or (x-1)(x)(x+1) = 120

Slightly easier to then find three consecutive integers that multiply together to give 120, I.e. 4, 5 and 6 (as an earlier poster said in fact) which gives the answer of 12, 15 and 18. My A level students hate questions like this!

Nothing wrong with trial and error for problems like this.

Slightly easier if you start with 3x, 3(x+1) and 3(x-1)

Then you get 27(x-1)(x)(x+1) = 3240

Or (x-1)(x)(x+1) = 120

Slightly easier to then find three consecutive integers that multiply together to give 120, I.e. 4, 5 and 6 (as an earlier poster said in fact) which gives the answer of 12, 15 and 18. My A level students hate questions like this!

It didn't occur to me to do that but it does indeed make it much easier. Thanks :)