People are offended at everything?

Excellent observation.

Glad you agree.

With that in mind then, I think it clearly shows how Hammond's statement that simply eating a bloody ice cream has some link to a man's sexuality is totally ludicrous and offensive not just to the gay community but to everyone.

A remark which was challenged by his own cast members and clearly should have been removed before broadcast.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Exactly. Perhaps the people who find Hammond's comments completely acceptable (and therefore the use of 'gay' in schools and on TV to mean bad, inferior and undesirable) would like to explain why they think there is such a high number of suicides in young gay people, and such a high occurrence of depression. Nobody is suggesting that is the only reason, but do you think the two are entirely unrelated?

Get a grip ! There has never ever been so much support, help lines etc etc for young 'gay' people.

It was just a joke or attempted joke and it's the likes of Will Young who are giving the joke publicity

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 21:07 ----------

Glad you agree.

With that in mind then, I think it clearly shows how Hammond's statement that simply eating a bloody ice cream has some link to a man's sexuality is totally ludicrous and offensive not just to the gay community but to everyone.

A remark which was challenged by his own cast members and clearly should have been removed before broadcast.

Now you are spouting nonsense.

Get a grip ! There has never ever been so much support, help lines etc etc for young 'gay' people.

It was just a joke or attempted joke and it's the likes of Will Young who are giving the joke publicity

That doesn't really answer the question does it.

Why do you think there is such a high number of suicides of young gay people? You mention that there has never been as much support as there is now - so why are the number of suicides so high?

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 21:07 ----------

Now you are spouting nonsense.

Well who considers what's over the top and vile?

Each individual! What I find funny, you may not!

Think about the impact on a solitary young person struggling with their sexuality having to hear the word gay being constantly equated with being crap and rubbish. How do you think that's going to affect them?

Are you the similar person you describe here?

(not aimed at Mister M directly)I don't care who you are or where you are from. I'm not really interested in your beliefs, nor your religion. If I (personally) find, hear or see something which amuses ME...I will laugh at it. If I don't find it funny I'll not laugh but probably just shake my head then no one will have a clue (head shakers :loopy: you know who you are)

As for something offensive :gag: where do you start and finish :loopy: A lot sometimes depends on your mood at the time if you think about it.

It's called banter!!! What was banter in the 1970's is offensive now. Just like banter in the 80's 90's and so on. In another 10 years we will be reading such things as - can you believe what they put back in 2016 :roll::roll:

And no doubt in 2026 some people will still be asking the best place to buy bloody sausages from :hihi: or what's the traffic like :hihi:

New year looming - rant over :D

(not aimed at Mister M directly)I don't care who you are or where you are from. I'm not really interested in your beliefs, nor your religion. If I (personally) find, hear or see something which amuses ME...I will laugh at it. If I don't find it funny I'll not laugh but probably just shake my head then no one will have a clue (head shakers :loopy: you know who you are)

As for something offensive :gag: where do you start and finish :loopy: A lot sometimes depends on your mood at the time if you think about it.

It's called banter!!! What was banter in the 1970's is offensive now. Just like banter in the 80's 90's and so on. In another 10 years we will be reading such things as - can you believe what they put back in 2016 :roll::roll:

And no doubt in 2026 some people will still be asking the best place to buy bloody sausages from :hihi: or what's the traffic like :hihi:

New year looming - rant over :D

Banter is one thing - but when it's insidious and sustained it's not banter, IMO it's bullying.

You're right about the changing ideas about what's considered offensive. In the 1970s 'throwaway jokes about black people were commonplace. Change didn't come about without campaigning and people arguing. No doubt at the time activists were called humourless and over sensitive - but change wouldn't have happened without people challenging others use of language.

That doesn't really answer the question does it.

Why do you think there is such a high number of suicides of young gay people? You mention that there has never been as much support as there is now - so why are the number of suicides so high?

I don't think Richard Hammond is to blame.