Adequate thermal lunch box

what about using a microwave?

That's a really Good Idea. I hadn't thought of that. Do you of any microwaves that work by using a lighter cable in a car or van like I can charge my Nokia phone with?

Edited by blake

I don't think you understand that the food has ideally got to remain HOT 3-4 hours after it has been put into the container. It just being kind of warm, isn't good enough.

wrapping the thermos in tinfoil or putting it in another insulated box or bag as well, is not going to make any difference. The thermos itself has got to perform.

It's going to make considerable difference. Extra insulation on the outside means that the thermos has less to do in terms of overall insulation so the food will be hotter.

A decent closed cell foam outer jacket over the flask - especially over the lid where most heat escapes will make a marked difference.

any kind of hot food. The one I have now would be OK for even the kind of dishes that are at their best when served piping hot, as it keeps food hot for about 1.5 hours, but by the time 3-4 hours come around - and that is the kind of timescale I need - the temperature has lowered to the point where that narrows the range of hot dishes it is useful for.

I've found one on Amazon now where the reviews are much better than any of the others here :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Food-Flask/dp/B001ET6P9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483009085&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+lunch+box

so I might give it a try.

They work but are not brilliant. The problem is that food doesn't have much heat in it - liquids and stews are better as the water holds much more heat and it fills the flask perfectly so there is more hot food in to start with.

I have one - if you preheat it with boiling water first and give it a snug outer jacket as well - either wrapped in a good blanket or use a foam sleeve on top then it'll probably work OK for up to four hours till lunch - but that's pushing it really.

I don't think you understand that the food has ideally got to remain HOT 3-4 hours after it has been put into the container. It just being kind of warm, isn't good enough.

wrapping the thermos in tinfoil or putting it in another insulated box or bag as well, is not going to make any difference. The thermos itself has got to perform.

When did physics stop working?

And when did Solero become Blake?

This reminds me of the time David Beckham took a Thermos to a training session. When the coach asked him what it was he said it was a Thermos flask, its for keeping hot things hot and cold things cold. When asked what he had in it he said.. a chock ice and some coffee... :hihi: