Grave Yard in Hillsborough

Not only badly maintained katkin, but a gravestone has actually been chiselled in half, vertically, to allow for the erection of the fence alongside the railway tracks ........ not moved over a foot or so and preserved ..... chiselled in half!!! :(:confused:

i used to go into this area daily for work as well as scrapping on the tip for 'extra' cash. The area's always been in a state ever since i can remember. We use to goto the car scrap yard alot too @ back of bassetts and near the power station. Alot of graves are wooded over with thick bush/woodland area.

I didn't notice however any items ever being left at any graveside such as flowers or trinkets ect.... I did notice late 80's early 90's that alot of graves had been uncoverd and tamperd with. Alot of stones and earns found the way onto or around the rail track. Worring thought realy :suspect:

________

SEX VIDEOS

It was always said that the abandoned church was used for witchcraft ceremonies.

I have no proof only that there used to be pentangles etc drawn on the inside walls but these could have been youths fooling around.

I wonder!

Disturbing Days!

Does anyone know if the grave stone of the red indian buried there is still standing? There was another one buried in an old cemetery near to where the Arena is situated, all gone now I'm afraid.

Native American tribes will move heaven and earth to have their lost ancestors remains shipped back to the states and reburied.

Crikey

I've lived in Hillsborough since I were a lad and never took the time to go down here.

Until today when I ventured down with my Canon EOS 20D to try and get some pictures..

It's a strange and sad place, all overgrown and run down with the area at the bottom of the hill sporting the strangest set of traffic lights you are ever likely to see.

The graves are seriously damaged and one was even open ! *shudder*

I got some cracking pictures - will post the link when I've uploaded them..

*tip - if you are going, go in a group as it's not the safest area*

Hi Sheffielder, What is the best way to get into the Wardsend Cemetry by road i have looked at the access behind Bassets up the steps but it looks a bad place to leave a car, plus my old legs dont like going to far, hope you can help?? Thanks in advance Syrup.

Hi there,

It's a very bad place to leave the car - I've done it twice and each time been scared that it won't be there when I get back !

There's a few access points to the cemetary (about 6 I believe) but that's the only one I've used.

You can come down the hill from Shiregreen but it's extremely steep and of course there's the walk back up.

There's also access from the city side near Neepsend but I've not tried that either.

I know there's access from the Herries Road end but don't know the way to that either (sorry !)

I would definitely consider taking someone with you as it's not the nicest of areas.

What's the best way of getting to it from Hillsborough? I've never been and want to go and have a look around.

It used to be possible to get there via Livesey Street which runs round the back of Owlerton Stadium. There's a bridge over the river and the road used to lead to a car breakers yard on the left with a path up past this to the grave yard.

There's also a footpath down from Penrith road that takes you via a footbridge over the railway line.

Archived